Topic: magnesium stearate, stearic acid

I see magnesium stearate, stearic acid and calcium stearate in most of the supplements in the market as lubricants.  Either a vegetable or an animal source, I read they are mostly made of hydrogenated oils, which may be toxic?

Also, they decrease absorption?  A study published in the journal Pharmaceutical Technology says they delay the absorption of nutrients.

Another problem with stearates?.....concentrated doses of stearic acid suppress the action of T-cells, a key component of the immune system.

What is your opinion on magnesium stearate/stearic acid?  Is it better to take supplements that are made without them?

Re: magnesium stearate, stearic acid

johnnyangel - you are correct, and thank you for your post about this. It is hard to find quality products, including vitamins, that are not made with this cheap form of filler, anti-caking agent, and preservative. My lab makes our vitamins without magnesium stearate, using organic rice bran and montmorillinite clay as the anti-caking agent. But, sadly, you get what you pay for these days; the real deals are expensive, and many people are on a tight budget right now. Just read all your labels, and purchase products with as few chemicals in them as possible.