Topic: Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese

Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese

2 to 3 tomatoes (cut in slices or dices)

Last edited by Mirko, NC. (01-18-2010 1:45 pm)

Re: Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese

Mirko, this makes a great meal all by itself, and when fresh tomatoes are around, nothing beats a recipe like this!

This makes a good mid-day snack for those watching their weight. And I recommend not eating anything heavy after 6:00PM, so a salad like this is a great choice for a later evening meal.

This recipe is the combination of the fatty vegetable as well as the non-fatty vegetable. Even if you eat the food more than your daily input then it will not create any harmful effect on your body.

Tomato is a very important vegetable which contains lycopene. This pigment is a powerful antioxidant which helps in fighting cancer. Tomato helps in cases of congestion of the liver as well as for dissolving gallstones. Nicotinic acid in tomatoes can help to reduce blood cholesterol, thus helps prevent heart diseases.

Ingredients:

* 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    * 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    * 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    * 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
    * 6 large ripe tomatoes, sliced into rounds
    * salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    * 1 red onion, halved and sliced very thinly
    * 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
    * 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped

Thank you for your post. Your recipe sounds great.

The recipe is healthy but i have to ask does cheese increasing the percentage of fat in the dish?

Yes, but the dry cheeses such as Feta are actually more a source of calcium than fat - the processed, yellow, fake cheeses are the ones that really aren't cheese; they are concocted fat to taste like cheese. I believe that natural, dry cheese is a good source of calcium, and Feta makes dishes taste great - just use sparingly.

I'd rather use Olive oil for garnishing.. Although absence of cheese will make this diet fat free...

I prepared it last Sunday, its test was such a very best and planning to prepare next Sunday also. I was add more ground black pepper for delicios test, such a best healthy food.

Sounds delicious) I'm going to start dieting, so am collecting healthy recipes like this that are both tasty and healthy.

Last edited by Vassa (10-21-2011 12:24 pm)

Ah, dieting means eating the plethora of natural foods. Have you ever seen anyone overweight who eats fresh foods?????