Topic: Don't Ignore Your Pancreas

Excerpt: In today's modern world, degenerative diseases are rapidly becoming "epidemics." Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, hypo and hyper-thyroid and all the other thyroid diseases, ADD, ADHD, OCD - well, you get the picture. As an environmental toxicologist, if similar pandemic events occur in nature, like the Burr Oak plague... Continue Reading Don't Ignore Your Pancreas from Dr. Hull's free monthly ezine, The Healthy Newsletter.

Re: Don't Ignore Your Pancreas

Is there some type of special food or supplement that will benefit the pancreas?  I am a type II diabetic and have read that cinnamon and red yeast rice help with glucose levels.  However, I have not read that they in any way are beneficial to the pancreas.
Thank You

I've read that digestive enzymes should be taken before meals, and here Dr. Hull is saying to take after meals?  What is a good enzyme to take, please.

Hi.  I've just recently come out of a 4 day hospital stay due to passing a stone through the pancreatic duct.    It's been a month and I'm still not fully recovered in terms of energy and vitality.   I've been given no reason for this happening and understand that it could happen again, which is certainly something I'd rather NOT experience again in this or any other life time.   Can digestive enzymes help me?   What is recommended? Thanks for your responses.

I have been diagnosed with MS and am on a very low fat diet as well as taking glyconutrients and digestive enzymes. Are there other pancreatic enzymes that I can take or special foods to take those into my body.

Tommy 7757: Yes. Foods rich in digestive enzymes are healthy for the digestion process and for the pancreas. When the pancreas is not able to produce and release the proper amount of the various digestive enzymes needed to breakdown foods, many food stuffs go undigested; hence, they stay in the bloodstream as undigested proteins and sugars. When you eat foods rich in enzymes, it assists the pancreas in supplying more help to process these elements more efficiently.

Foods rich in enzymes are papaya, pineapple, lemons and limes, cranberries, cilantro and pungent herbs (eat that parsley sitting on your plate as decoration!), and some very high-quality rich, red wines.

Celticson: Great question and an important one!  I believe in restoring your body's natural ability to produce the required amount of digestive enzymes it needs, if it can eventually do this on its own. Many medications, for example, take over; they dominate the body's natural mechanics and stop the involuntary memory of restoring its duties, and over power the body systems. This can result in your body "forgetting" what it naturally does, so it ceases taking charge at the hands of overpowering drugs and chemicals. So to answer your question, you want to encourage your stomach and pancreas to produce the needed digestive enzymes on its own. Therefore, you supplement with the foods or digestive enzymes in capsules that provide the various stomach and pancreatic enzymes right AFTER you have completed your meal. This encourages your body to produce them on its own, but when it cannot succeed in producing sufficient amounts, you can help it by offering supplements and aides. Over time, your digestive juices should increase in potency, especially if your pancreas has not been able to do so on its own. Let digestive aides be an AIDE, and your body should begin to produce more enzymes the healthier your digestive tract becomes.

iris-armos: Yes, yes and yes. You can be of great service in assisting your body building digestion. And this should make a tremendous difference in your entire digestion process.

I suggest monitoring your body pH because your digestion, specifically in this case, begins in the pH balance of the saliva.  Then, a full-spectrum digestive enzyme with both the upper enzymes (stomach produced) and lower enzymes (pancreas produced) will help restore digestive balance.

For a few months, you can also add a pancreatic enzyme to help restore pancreatic health quicker. But, I would consider using a digestive enzyme for a longterm program after meals. You body needs time to restore digestion, especially if you have already had some serious health side-effects from a lack of these nutrients and enzymes.

Drink plenty of pure water and research a balanced pH eating program to keep your foods and pH balanced as you restore the enzymes.

My favorite brands of digestive enzymes are our brand, of course, which has both the upper and lower enzymes + herbs, Wobenzym-N, which is a superior enzyme - just superior! - and NOW has an excellent line of digestive enzymes and a very good pancreatic enzyme.

glemsgober: Make sure to keep your diet balanced; not too heavy on protein, and watch your gluten. Anything you eat or drink should be complex - carbs, proteins, sugars. Then, add those digestive enzymes and help you body break them down, metabolize them, and then EXCRETE them from your blood. So many autoimmune diseases are due to the inability to cleanse unused proteins and sugars from the bloodstream. A balanced diet, proper enzymes and a quality mutli-vitamin AND trace mineral complex are important.

4 years ago I had kidney cancer and the Dr. took out my left kidney, and my pancreas.  He said he lifted my pancreas, and it slid through his fingers, the reason for taking it out.  He told me I could be at risk for infection, etc. what good would it do me to to be eating foods that are good for the pancreas?
Thank, Jan

Jan, your body doesn't know that your pancreas is gone and is treating itself with the memory as if it is. The body has no knowledge of surgery or the removal of body parts. So, even though it is not there, your innate intelligence will continue to produce enzymes, insulin, etc. I assume you are injecting insulin for your body's health, so also supplement with the pancreatic enzymes as if your pancreas was doing it for you. You are now taking on the role of your pancreas, artificially, but your body still assumes it is in charge of it.

So, help your body out in every way you can, and provide for it what it thinks is still there.

Dr. I had a whipple surgery done 8/2005 I live in New Orleans have no ins. so I go to free clinics and no one can understand the severe pains I get out of the blue I sweat and feel like all my organs swell up and and have a fainth felling and short of breath. I dont know what to eat or not I' know I'm not the same after the surgery. I was told not to eat hard to digest foods like fruits and vegetables, living in NOLA its not easy with all the great foods but I want to live longer, I'm alone with my dogs, sometimes I think I'm going to die with the pain, when I go to the emergency room they tell me I have some cysts on my kidneys and maybe some scar tissues that can give me the pain. please help me to understand and how can I help myself to keep my pancreas healthy. thank you the indianmiracle

Why are some of the enzymes like Wobenzyme so incredibly expensive while others with similar ingredients so much less?

Indianmiracle - well, you have a heath challenge ahead of you, yet you can come through this wiser, and healthier. Research all the alternatives, as you are obviously doing, and make sure to learn why this is happening. Finding the root cause is the only way to design the solution. Otherwise, you are shooting in the dark.

Do you have parasites or another microbe? This can create similar health symptoms that you have described. You may have heavy metals deposited in your organs. Are you still exposed to toxins or was this at an earlier time in life, yet they never excreted? Then detox if this is the cause of your health issues, yet don't stop learning about the body, toxins, and how to stay healthy without medications.

Have you monitored your body pH? Many times when body pH levels are off balance, this can stress the kidneys. Also, scrutinize your diet for diet sweeteners and other food chemicals that may be exacerbating your underlying issues.

This is a true lesson in nutrition,no doubt. But, you can educate yourself on the causes, the solutions, and how to restore the damage done. Then health can again be attainable. But you have some work to do - this will take some work.

Does this help get you started?

The Berries - good question about the enzymes. When it comes to nutritional supplements, you typically get what you pay for. The better supplements are more expensive - sad but true. Wobenzyme is an excellent enzyme from Germany, and it contains inulin and some other ingredients that are not found in most enzymes, but the ingredients literally eat the sludge out of your body.

Wobenzyme is used in Germany to treat cancer patients, and it is considered a whole body enzyme - and that means it is to be taken without food so it can begin eating and digesting the leftovers that have not excreted from your body. It eats allergens, deposits of toxic wastes, yeast and microbes. It is a wonderful enzyme. But it is expensive. Yet, you get what you pay for!

I have IBS and Dr. Hull's enzymes work well for me and so do the Wobenzyme-N. They are expensive, and I can't always budget for them, but I try to keep them around when I have an attack or eat a very large meal and feel bloated.

nash - Have you ever tried the blood type diet?  I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed the bloating after meals is gone.  Might be something to consider if you are experiencing IBS and bloating after eating.

Dr Hull can you recommend the best wobenzyme product that a person might be able to get in the usa or take an educated guess, esp since I thought wobenzyme was 100% illegal to be sold in the usa!!  Glad that it's not though I have talked to a few vitamin makers esp www.freedavitamins.com and they also said it was illegal, though it's NOT illegal for them to make it themselves, just illegal to get from Germany into usa.... soooooo, what's your recommendation on an equivalent wobenzyme product from the usa that's worth something??? thanx so much .... Robert von

boschida - I have not tried that diet. Isn't a book out about that? Eat For Your Blood or something like that? It was written a long time ago, right?  Hum, I'll check it out on Amazon.

Yes, the original work was done decades ago, and Eat Right 4 Your Type is a good book to read. You can find it off Amazon.

Robert, you can get Wobenzyme at local health food stores. Your profile says you are from Dallas. Try Whole Foods or Herb Mart.

- Andy

I have heard that Wobenzyme-N is now getting harder to find and that it has gotten really expensive. I remember when it first came over from Germany in the 1990s. It was pricey then, but it is a phenomenal product. It has been used in Germany for cancer treatments for many years.

Hum, that might have something to do with why it's hard to find in the States now, you think?

Try ordering on-line.

I have had parathyroid surgery for two tumors in the last three years and I was wondering if it could be due to aspartame consumption.  Since 1981, I have consumed two to three cans of Diet Dr. Pepper every day.  I've always had migraine headaches before I started drinking Diet Dr. Pepper.  Most of the messages I read have been about Diet Coke that cause side effects.  Is Diet Coke worse than Diet Dr Pepper?  But I do feel tired most of the time and I have osteporosis now.  Could this have been from the Diet drinks?  Please advise me on what I should do.

Thank You,
Debbie

Debbie, please, please PLEASE go to your local library or get on Amazon and read my book Sweet Poison. You will feel like you are reading about yourself!

I drank Diet Dr. Pepper for one year only and was diagnosed with Grave's Disease - hyperthyroidism. I didn't have a thyroid disease; I HAD ASPARTAME POISONING. I stopped the diet everything, detoxed, got on a healthy vitamin and daily food regimen, and I cured myself in 30 days. That was in 1991 - I have been perfectly healthy ever since.

ALL diet drinks are unhealthy.

I am on hypertensive medicines and diabetic meds...doctor tried me on anti-cholesterol meds but my muscles reacted badly to one of the diabetes pills and the anticholesterol meds...I was heavily taking Splenda...and began to wonder if I was not being slowly poisoned by the chemicals I'm blending...Had my thyroid removed for thyroid cancer years ago...recently ate some treated popcorn and had terrible cramps, kidney pain and vomiting.  When I do your detox (as soon as I can afford it...not working right now)...do I stop any of the meds...?