Topic: Quick Healthy Salad

This is something that I greatly enjoy and that can be modified to fit any of the blood type diets (if you're in to that sort of thing).

You can prepare as much as you want and store it in the refrigerator in a glass container for a day or so (exclude any undercooked meat please by preparing that as needed).

Spinach (raw and fresh, chopped or whole)
Grated Parmesan (or other favorite) Cheese
Chopped Walnuts (try Pecans or Almonds if you like)
Olive Oil (Walnut oil tastes great too)
Chopped Egg (I'd recommend the cage free organic high omega ones)
Ahi Tuna (or your meat of choice-rare steak is great as well)

Mix all of this (except meat) together in a salad bowl and enjoy. It's very quick to prepare and great for the body too.

Another variety I sometimes use is to add some black grapes.

Re: Quick Healthy Salad

jaycmiller - interestingly, you have posted two posts that directly relate to my Feb 2010 Healthy Newsletter BEFORE I posted the newsletter live - I have an article on Monsanto's history (one of your other posts) and this article on the benefits of seeds and nuts (hence your recipe).

Cool, very cool.

Hi
Thanks for sharing simple and healthy recipe ...And here also you can find some healthy recipes ...

The recipes are really good, guys. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, thanks for sharing! People always love great recipes that are healthy and easy to fix.

We do not have the enough time to always prepare some good and healthy food, so these kind of quick fire recipes would be a very good option. It would be ready within a few minutes and on the other side it's quite healthy too. It could be called the perfect combination of 'easy to cook and good to eat' kind of food. I have always loved cooking and this is indeed something that I could have some innovations.

Last edited by jwalter (03-19-2010 10:25 pm)

Very good point. I would rather be outside on my wildlife preserve or on my tractor mower than inside cooking, personally. So, I keep lots of fresh veggies, salads (chicken salad is my favorite to keep in the fridge), fresh fruits and nuts, and I make a smoothie every morning. I snack on fresh things as my main meal planning.

This is a great way to eat low-fat and all natural, quickly, and healthily. Crock-pot soups and meats are a good way to have dinner waiting after a long work day, too.

thanks for sharing! People always love great recipes that are healthy and easy to fix.Healthy diet is very necessary for people these days.

Mostly every people know that salad is healthy recipe and we can make it very quickly also but generally people do not make salad atleast two times in a week. The recipe you have shared over here is very healthy and seems to be very yummy also I will try it very soon because me and my all family members love to eat salad.

Salads can be more than greens, for sure. Adding meats, fruits, nuts and seeds, and of course an array of veggies truly turns a salad into a main dish. How healthy is that?? And "building" a salad is a quick and easy way to get all the good nutrients when you have little time to prepare a more complex meal. You bet!

A basic vinaigrette recipe is a great start and it can be jazzed up in so many different ways.

My favorite is to use a ratio of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts olive oil, but you can alter that ratio to fit your taste. Season with salt and pepper.

Add a tablespoon of dijon mustard to the mix of 1/4 c. vinegar to 3/4 c of olive oil.

Also consider on using differnt kinds of vinegar to alter the flavor. I love using a good balsamic or a tarragon vinegar. But, I also like a white wine or champagne vinegar too.

Consider adding fresh minced garlic or shallots to your vinaigrette mixture.

Sometimes I'll add some fresh chopped herbs like tarragon or basil or chives.

Dried herbes work too. I've flavored the mustard vinaigrette with the italian herb mixture or some 'herbes de provence'.

There are a ton of variations on all the various recipe sites. Experiment and have fun with it. Enjoy!

This type of salad dressing also works as a great marinade for chicken or fish if you aren't a vegetarian.

For another alternative to easy homemade salad dressings I often use plain low-fat yogurt as a base.

I stir in any number of herbs or spices to make any creamy dressing I like. The options are endless. Here are 3 easy favorites.

4 oz plain yogurt to 1-2 tsp dijon mustard. (add tarragon to taste)
or
4 oz plain yogurt to 1-2 tps curry powder
or
4 oz plain yogurt with up to a tablespoon of horseradish to top a baked potato instead of butter or sour cream.

Oh yum - all healthy ingredients, too. What a great selection of variations to try, too. Thanks for the post.

The yogurt on the baked potato is really REALLY good.

I love easy recipes, and you will find a wide range of simple, fast and economical recipes for salads and a wide selection of healthy and tasty recipes, quick meal, which requires a minimum of ingredients, time, effort and clean up the pressure world we live in, you will find easy to serve the ideas so put together the meal is easy to do.

The fiber that we gain from these leafy greens is responsible for decreasing our cholesterol and these  green leafs  are also helpful in decreasing constipation. Fiber is a most beneficial for those individuals who wish to lose weight and it helps a lot.

Actually, simple meals are more natural and are the old-fashioned way of eating foods. All other animals make it simple - try to snack on a variety of fresh foods more often. Then when preparing larger meals, you'll enjoy them even more.

Well it is one of the best thing which I like to eat at any time not only in the lunch or dinner. It is really means more for the health and the fitness. I love to have different kind of varieties of the salads. Your are really good to hear.

Your are following your body's instinctive needs for food. This is very smart. I believe that eating smaller portions more often throughout the day is healthier anyway. Your stomach is the size of your hand, so if you pack more food into your stomach at one meal, the body can't digest it all and weight gain can occur as well as your stomach expanding and getting bigger.

Thanks for share quick and healthy Salad. I will make that Salad at my dinner.

nice healthy salad . . . !!!
how would it taste by adding grapes , just wondering !!!

I like adding just about everything I can find in the kitchen to put in a salad - grapes sound good, and the more the better.

jaycmiller wrote:

This is something that I greatly enjoy and that can be modified to fit any of the blood type diets (if you're in to that sort of thing).

You can prepare as much as you want and store it in the refrigerator in a glass container for a day or so (exclude any undercooked meat please by preparing that as needed).

Spinach (raw and fresh, chopped or whole)
Grated Parmesan (or other favorite) Cheese
Chopped Walnuts (try Pecans or Almonds if you like)
Olive Oil (Walnut oil tastes great too)
Chopped Egg (I'd recommend the cage free organic high omega ones)
Ahi Tuna (or your meat of choice-rare steak is great as well)

Mix all of this (except meat) together in a salad bowl and enjoy. It's very quick to prepare and great for the body too.

Another variety I sometimes use is to add some black grapes.

Thanks for sharing such useful post with us in which your describe the healthy recipe.  It is really a great idea to have nice healthy salad  and specially the salad with grapes which is amazing.

I agree.

Great Healthy Salad.Easy to made and thanks for sharing  it with us.

For the most part, everyone knows that salad is a healthy recipe and we can do it very fast, but generally people do not do salad at least twice a week. The recipe you shared here is very healthy and seems to be very tasty too I will try it very soon, all because of my family members love to eat salad.