Re: Quick Healthy Salad

Salads can be one of the most creative meals eaten at any time. You can add proteins, meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, sprouts, eggs....it is a cornucopia of nutrients on one plate. And teaching your children to appreciate this at a young age will set their good health up for life!

Healthy recipes typically focus on fresh produce, high fiber foods, lean proteins, and low cholesterol fats, focusing on flavorful foods for maximum taste and texture.

That's right!

I love easy and quick recipes becoz when we are hungry and no one is there to make any quick recipe for u. At such time u only need to cook for urself and no other alternative remains and at such time it becomes easy to prepare any easy and fast cooked food. So i always go for quick and tasty recipe ....

Good points, and realistic ones. Everyone is so busy these days, and quick and easy meals and snacks are the healthier way to go anyway. There is something to be said about sitting down together as a family for meals and just talking together, but you can still do that with a quick and easy meal.

Is meat included in Salad????

You are right - salads are so healthy, but people can get burned out on them, so alternate what you put in them and the dressings you use. That helps keep them exciting. The salad recipes we get on the forum are great for trying new ways to enjoy a healthy salad. And teaching kids when they are young to like salad is one of the best gifts you can give them.

Use Lettice, standard iceberg and spinach leaf and other greens vegetables, purple onions in salad. You can also use mushrooms and Wishbone raspberry..

Last edited by quinton48web (01-15-2011 2:35 am)

Did you know that iceberg lettuce is not a real lettuce? It is an old-fashioned man-altered lettuce - before GMO technology was a real thing. It was engineered to be more crop resistant, but it is hard for the body to digest and it has less nutrients. I live on a wildlife preservation for endangered exotic animals, and I cannot feed iceberg to my tortoises or exotics - they can't digest it and they will get seriously ill. What does that tell you?

Eat the darkest leafy greens you can.

The fiber that we get from these leafy greens is responsible for reducing our cholesterol and these green leafs are also beneficial in reducing constipation. Fiber is a most valuable for those people who wish to shed pounds and it will help a ton.

I agree. And the deeper green the leaf, the better.

I prepared it last Sunday, its test was such a very best and planning to prepare next Sunday also. I was add more ground black pepper for delicios test, such a best healthy food.

I think the salad will taste great.I will surely give it a try as it is healthy too.

Last edited by tadcrawford (04-05-2012 3:57 am)

Salads are too fun to experiment with - you can just keep adding more and more goodies to them.

drjshull wrote:

Did you know that iceberg lettuce is not a real lettuce? It is an old-fashioned man-altered lettuce - before GMO technology was a real thing. It was engineered to be more crop resistant, but it is hard for the body to digest and it has less nutrients. I live on a wildlife preservation for endangered exotic animals, and I cannot feed iceberg to my tortoises or exotics - they can't digest it and they will get seriously ill. What does that tell you?

Eat the darkest leafy greens you can.

This is a really interesting thought.  I remember Iceberg lettuce my entire life, from the 1940’s.  Reading up on it the term comes from at least the 1920’s because the heads were shipped from California to the East Coast covered in ice with the heads just popping up.  They were then called Heart Lettuce or Crisp-head lettuce.  The nutritional analysis of the current Iceberg lettuce is at the bottom of the lettuce varieties.   Iceberg lettuce contains much lower values of nutrients than other verities but is high in fiber and water.  This combination will cause distress in many people that eat it often.  I have found mention that it will seem to make contact with the mucus membranes in the intestine and “stick” there while being digested, thus causing some possible problems.   This also could be the cause of Dr. Hull’s exotic animals and having problems with digesting.  Came across one blog entry that the individual stated that the nutrients had all been taken out so much that even the bacteria would not eat it.  I like it because of the sweetness and crunch but after reading all I have I will most likely cut back on that particular green.

On a historical note I found this item at Wikipedia.org, I’m sure the ancients did not have access to Iceberg lettuce:
Lettuce is a low calorie food and is a source of vitamin A and folic acid. Lactucarium (or “Lettuce Opium”) is a mild opiate-like substance that is contained in all types of lettuce. Both the Romans and Egyptians took advantage of this property by eating lettuce at the end of a meal to induce sleep.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lettuce

One of the best and most raved over salads I have made was in the early spring when the vegetable garden is just starting to produce.  I had included various leaf greens, (mustard, radish, collard and turnip) young radish, baby summer squash, pickling cucumbers, small white turnips, baby carrots and white button mushrooms (store bought).  Everyone loved this and could not believe some of the items included.

On the GMO note, I wonder where the thought of hybridizing come into the picture.  In past times the practice of hybridizing was taking a choice vegetable (due to appearance, taste, size or whatever caught the attention of the grower) and kept that one item isolated and kept the seed to grow by itself.   Some of those hybridized veggies have absolutely no flavor.  You cannot beat the flavor in the “heirloom” varieties.   Can the term Hybridizing be the beginning of GMO production?  Where/what is the dividing line between GMO and Hybrid?  With the current manipulation of our food there are becoming way too many questions in regards to health, nutrition, ethics and let us not forget the all important “cost” factor and “profit” factor.  I would suggest going back to the bushel per acre instead of the ton per acre production.

This was interesting research,
PatB

Very good post, and spot on. Over time, food has been modified by whatever technology was available at the time to enhance shipping time and shelf time. Real food spoils within 24 hours if not refrigerated, so if spoilage can be deterred in any way, food scientists work diligently in the lab to find ways to alter the food.

If my tortoises can't eat something, like iceberg lettuce, I KNOW humans shouldn't be eating it.

I will try it on Sunday for my advance treat for my mom smile Thanks!

Nice sharing thanks a lot for this

Last edited by JFthunder1 (07-27-2011 1:32 am)

That recipe looks good, I can almost taste the egg and tuna in my mouth right now. Hmmm.

I think the best salads are the ones I basically throw a bunch of stuff into.

Start with a base, like lettuce, spinach, arugla, etc. But remember, the darker theh greens, the more nutrients they contain, and the better they are for you.

Next, choose a few toppings to add! Just make sure that you choose at least one that is a good source of protein.

I so agree, and I love to make a salad like this, too. I throw all kinds of goodies in - crunchie additions like nuts are the most fun.

I have noticed when I eat salads more often, I feel better and my tummy gets flatter. Yea.

before i used to avoid eating salad because i find the taste very boring but ever since i started to be more conscious of my diet i have trying to find different salad recipes that may be able to bring my interest to eat salad as to my surprise there are really a lot of different recipes to try out that one may become interested to eat salad. i will surely try his recipe out, thank you for the post!

Avieli welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of healthy suggestions here and a lot of support.  Salads can be very interesting and varied as there are ingredients available.  Normally as I make up a salad I am snacking on many of the ingredients, carrots, peppers, celery, cucumbers, you get the idea.  The same ingredients also make a very nice mid meal snack at work or at home.  For dressings you need to read the labels on store bought ones as many of them have MSG and use HFCS as a sweetener.  There again you have many to choose from and search the internet for many varied recipes to make homemade ones, the options are endless in regards to salads.

PatB

I do that, too - when I fix a salad I snack on most of the ingredients - carrots, peppers, celery, cucumbers, chick peas. What a way to go, huh???