Topic: Aspartame addiction - quit cold turkey or gradual?

I am new to the forum and just researching the effects of aspartame after a discussion with my personal trainer last night.

I have been drinking large quantities of diet pepsi (now the max version) for YEARS - more than the last 20 in fact. Back in my late teens and early 20's I would regularly drink 12 cans per day. These days I've "cut down" to between 4-8 each day.

Over the years I've had a lot of the symptoms described and have never had a doctor find anything wrong with me (other than a bad case of mono and a relapse several years later). After the research I've done this morning I'm fairly convinced that my years of aspartame usage are most likely to blame.

I have been told that quitting all at once could actually be dangerous and I should taper off over a period of several weeks.

Any advice on the best way to go about this?

Re: Aspartame addiction - quit cold turkey or gradual?

I suggest quitting cold-turkey. If the aspartame has had that strong of an effect on your body, then you need to stop ASAP. I would advise anyone ingesting arsenic or any "poisonous" substance to stop it immediately.

They key to recovering from an "addiction" is to take some time off work, even if a few days, to rest, sleep, and "hit the wall" with anger or frustration if that arises. If  withdrawal symptoms occur, the body needs a little time and rest.

Detox using my aspartame detox program recommendations, begin drinking water again and eating whole foods, take good supplements to replace the nutrients a chemical diet robs from your body, get outside into the fresh air and sunshine, and by all means use no sugar or just natural sugar and try NuStevia by NuNaturals.

You will begin feeling better within 72 hours; sleeping better; lose weight; have more energy; a higher libido; a happier attitude. Aspartame and the diet sweeteners are a scary proposition - they DO harm in many, many ways; physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Time to soul search and get back on track!

Thank you Dr. Hull... I have spent this entire week trying to break my habit and have made some really good progress - have only had 2 diet drinks in 4, almost 5 days now. I've been feeling pretty good days 4 and 5 (day 3 was pretty tough though).

Now for another question:

What alternative French Green Clay supplement do you suggest? (yours appears to be out of stock). I've done some searching and am a bit confused about comparable products. I did see one that came in capsule form and also included charcoal - but I haven't seen where you've mentioned charcoal being something to take.

Is there another brand of FGC that you could recommend?

My sister committed suicide back in 1995, and I am convinced that NutraSweet or Aspartame was the main reason that caused this event. She drank Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper (her favorite). No one forced her to drink this junk, but she did not know about this killer. Anyone with chemical imbalances such as ADD, ADHD, Bi-Polar, Schizophrenia, Paranoid Schizophrenia, or any other chemical imbalance should run in the other direction and never consume NutraSweet. I have Bi-Polar II and the first time I had it, it was in Carnation Hot Cocoa Mix. I had a splitting headache for three hours. One week after my sister's death, I saw a special on PBS about NutraSweet or Aspartame, and then I knew what was really going on. Be wise and do NOT take this junk - Period!

Thank you for your post. I am sorry about your sister. Right now in the USA, things are very stressful in many many ways, and when you add a toxic food and drink product to an already sub-standard diet, well, people are getting sick and more depressed.

Yes, aspartame affects the emotional centers in the brain, aspartame depletes the body of healthy nutrients, and aspartame robs the body of all the natural nutrients nature intended for humans to consume.

This issue IS VERY REAL, and you are right to point to the aspartame as a reason your sister, and you, have suffered.

Can aspartame cause chronic sinus problems??? I am desperately trying to find an answer!! Since February, I have had a chronic sinus infection. I have been on antibiotics 3 times, oral steroids, nasal steroids, EVERY over the counter sinus/allergy medicine, all kinds of home remedies, including garlic, baking soda, peroxide, etc, silver biotics and pro-biotics & other things from GNC. NOTHING has worked. I am now cutting Diet DP's from my diet. I drank them from the time I got up everyday, until I went to bed. Could aspartame be the culprit??? And if so, how long will it take to get out of my system???? Is there anything I can do to speed up the detox??  HOW do I detox???

Thank you!!

Drinking colas add to yeast if you have that problem, and Candida can crawl all up into the sinuses, eyes and ears. Colas make the yeast worse, and the chemicals in the diet colas only add more toxins to stress your body. Consider yeast an issue and definitely stop the diet colas and all colas. This was my problem - my sinuses and ears were always bad until I cleaned up the yeast and stopped all sugar-free foods.