Topic: Insomnia Issues While Detoxing. Any suggestions?

Hi All
I am currently on day 19 of detoxing from aspartame but am having major issues with insomnia.  The pain and other symptoms were so bad at one point that my Dr. had prescribed me Ambien CR.  I had been taking that almost nightly for 4 months.  I have not taken Ambien now since I started detoxing.  However, I haven't been able to sleep at all!  I just lay awake listening to my husband sleep all night.  I know this has to be having an affect on my recovery.

Does anyone have any recommendations of how I can get some sleep?  Or has anyone else experienced this during detox?  I know aspartame can block the chemical in the brain needed to sleep well.  But I think Im a special case because of the prescription meds I was taking prior.

Any help would be so much appreciated.  Im desperate. 

Has anyone tried Valerian Root?  I have read that might be an option.

Thank you!

Last edited by angelsRgr8 (02-05-2010 1:01 pm)

Re: Insomnia Issues While Detoxing. Any suggestions?

angelsRgr8, you are detoxing from the effects of aspartame, and sleep disruptions are one of the side-effects from aspartame use. Your body may have forgotten what it is like to have normal serotonin/melatonin balance. Give it some time.

Also, if you are near or in menopause, sleeplessness is common during this time.

Try Holy Basil by NOW company. It works great to relax you and will help that sleeplessness. Read the Did You Knows in February's newsletter on tips to sleep better.