Topic: Student aspartame research, Roswell High School

Dear Dr. Hull,
My name is Sage Segal and I am working on an experimental design to answer the question how aspartame causes migraines, for my honors biology class. I have read your research and was interested to learn what causes the aspartame to give a person a migraine and how bad the pain can get.
After researching the effects of aspartame on a person I have some questions I was hoping you could help answer.
How long did it take you to realize that aspartame was causing the migraines and other complications?
What did the doctor suggest you do to get rid of the aspartame build-up in your body?
How long did it take for you to get rid of the aspartame poisoning in your body?
How was the hair analysis testing discovered?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you,
Sage  Segal
Roswell High School
Roswell, GA

Re: Student aspartame research, Roswell High School

Sage, You have picked a great topic, and one that has been researched thoroughly, but not widely publicized because too much money would be lost. This is an addiction that nets billions for stockholders.

To answers your questions:
1) The blood brain barrier is a filter system to protect unwanted elements from entering the brain. There are two openings to the brain; one at the BBB for incoming, and the second at the base of the cranium at the spinal cord for outgoing nerve signals.

The BBB tries to prevent toxins and foreign bodies from entering the brain because once they get in without a purpose, they become a brain toxin. If a toxin attempts to enter, the BBB resists its entry; hence, a headache. The toxins are not supposed to enter the brain, and their specific weight, chemical compositions, their molecular structures, and the amount (dose) causes a headache as their presence in the brain is "felt."

Aspartame is NOT made of natural ingredients as marketers want us to believe. The "ingredients" may exist in nature, but the lab replicas are produced as cheaply as they are for additional profit margins, and the molecules larger than those found in nature. This  adds to the brain's interpretation of the molecules as toxic for brain entry.

Headaches literally signal the stress and pressure these foreign elements create inside the very precious and delicate human brain.

2) I became progressively sicker over a 1-year period, but I had NO clue it was the Diet Dr. Pepper until I went searching for answers why I was so sick. That's the last thing most people realize is the cause of their progressive health symptoms. Again, crafty marketing makes us feel these products are perfectly harmless. Think about the billion-dollar industry these "diet" colas and diet products have invented as a cultural fad.

3) My doctor was clueless to what caused my near-fatal disease. He refused to accept aspartame's dangers even after I cured myself. He said that he agreed that aspartame could be unhealthy, but he knew nothing about aspartame and didn't think that it caused my illness. (He couldn't tell me what did cause it, so how could he say what didn't cause it? Some docs are really dumbed-down these days.) I did NOTHING but remove the aspartame, and I cured myself - well, I NEVER HAD any disease to cure. I merely had a deadly reaction to aspartame. Once I removed the toxin, I healed.

4) My doctor gave me no advice other than to have my thyroid removed and remain on a lifetime of expensive medications. I refused, and I, alone, figured this out. I designed a way to detox my body from the toxins in aspartame, and I cured myself in 30 days once I removed all diet chemicals, detoxed, and took natural vitamins to replace what the aspartame had robbed from my body.

5) Hair analysis testing has been used in forensic medicine for decades to determine the mysterious causes of death. My lab figured out that if it works for the dead, it surely works for the living. I agree, and it does work very well to identify toxins that other lab tests cannot identify. It's another tool to use to determine the causes of disease, and it has worked very successfully for many people searching for answers traditional medicine hasn't been able to identify.

Good luck on your project!  Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions in such great detail. I appreciate your response.

-Sage Segal

You bet. I assume that my answers came to you in time, before your project was due. Good luck to you in your future studies.

Dear Dr. Hull,
A second part of my project includes coming up with an experimental design. I have created a procedure that can maybe help show if aspartame can affect a diet coke drinker in one month. I'm not sure if you could help, but I would like to post my procedure below and see if you have any suggestions about it. I really appreciate your help and thank you for taking the time to read my posts.
If a person ingests aspartame (three diet coke cans a day), then that person will show signs of a headache/migraine adding to the evidence that supports the headache/migraine effect from aspartame usage.
Procedure:
1. Obtain ten people willing to take part in the experiment (preferably five men and five women within 10 years of the same age group).
2. Record the moods of each person upon the beginning of the experiment and ask of any history of headaches or migraines.
3. Separate the ten people into two groups of five.
4. For a month, have one group of both men and women drink only water (unlimited) throughout the day along with a normal diet.
5. In the same month, have the second group drink diet coke when thirsty. A minimum and maximum of three regular sized diet coke cans (about 12 ounces) are required. Only water is to be drank after the three can limit is reached (also along with normal diet).
6. Have each person report every night any change in health such as headaches or migraine related symptoms and record information.
7. Keep track of the number of times a person calls in with a headache/migraine or symptoms of headache/migraine.
8. At the end of the month compare and contrast the number of headaches, migraines, or migraine related symptoms of the group members who drank the diet coke containing aspartame to the group members who only drank water.

Thank you again,
Sage Segal
Roswell High School

Last edited by sagesegal (04-12-2010 9:44 pm)

Sage, this is a great idea. It won't last a month, though - everyone will be so sick within a week, they might want to drop out. Record it all in detail, and chart who gets sick first, male or female for example, if they just ran the track or started their menstrual cycle - that type of thing.

I used white mice in my experiments when I taught at the university, and we fed one group regular feed and water, and one group aspartame in the feed and in their water. Then we constructed a huge maze and ran them in the maze once a week. By the end of one month, the unaltered mice blew through the maze to reach their kibble, but the aspartame mice had gained weight and were lazy, they fell over and couldn't run, they turned aggressive onto one another and bit each other drawing blood, and they NEVER made it through the maze.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at the experimental design. I appreciate the information you gave me on the tests you did on the mice. I will be sure to add the suggestions about keeping a record of the first one sick and if they started their menstrual cycle etc. Thanks again for your time.
Sage Segal
Roswell High School

Keep us posted on your findings. These sweeteners are toxic, no doubt, and people are reacting all over the world. Information and education is the key to bring awareness that can change a person's life. Good stuff, Sage, keep it up.

Thank you very much for replying and giving me very helpful advice. The last step of my project is to create the experiment's rational, materials, variables etc. If you do not mind, my teacher wants me to send the rough draft to three professionals for credit even if the person does not reply. I would like to send it to you later. Thank you very much again for taking the time to reply.
Sage Segal
Roswell High School

Dear Dr. Hull,
I have completed the final draft for the experimental design on testing aspartame links to headaches and would very much appreciate it if you could read it and give any suggestions that you have on bettering the overall experiment. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you.

Question: Does ingesting aspartame increase the evidence of a person

To my favorite student - not only is this interesting to read and follow your project, but thanks for sharing it for others to see. Since our country is falling so far behind the needed science behind aspartame dangers (due to the politics, not to the desire of the scientists), we will turn to the students like yourself to prove that aspartame is a toxin beyond any doubt.

This ROCKS! It is well written (not one edit is needed, good job!), but it is a very interesting study. Your background information is good, and Please, please, please let us know your results.

See if you can dig a copy of this up: this is Dr. John Olney's research of holes in the brains of his lab mice given aspartame. Olney is a MD, PhD at Washington School of Medicine in Neurosurgery

Olney's 1996 study is published as: Olney J. W. et al,
'Increasing brain tumor rates: is there a link to aspartame?', Journal of
Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, Vol. 55, No 11, November 1996,
even though it is not available on the web.  I guess that you could take an
electronic scan of a paper copy of Olney's 1996 paper.

I give you an A+ already!

Thank you so much. That is the sweetest reply. You are the only professional out of the five I had to E-mail who replied every time and supplied me with usable, quality information. Although I do not have to perform the experiment myself, I will be graded on the overall paper. Thank you so much for all of the help. I'll let you know how it works out.
~Sage

Please do. PS: I reply because helping others is truly the passion I have behind my work. Our societies are in trouble these days, and helping collective awareness with good intentions is really what we all should be focusing on. Our younger generation is our only hope to pull the mainstream back into the right direction - good luck!!

Pretty cool, dude!!!!

I'm sorry I never told you. Thank you so much for all your help, my teacher gave me of the few, a 100 on the paper. You were such a great help thank you again.
~Sage

100!  Well, it was very well written and the subject was superb. You have a great future ahead of you. Good job!!

Thank you!
~Sage

my comment re blog post Aspartame -- is it safe? by Amanda Johnson in New
Zealand, sciblogs.co.nz: Rich Murray 2010.06.21
http://sciblogs.co.nz/food-stuff/2010/0 … comment-44

I am pleased that my comments, based on recent mainstream medical journal
evidence, are being allowed here, since this supports discussion based on
publicly shared evidence and reason, seeking truth for the common good.

Vestibulocochlear toxicity in a pair of siblings [doctor & nurse] 15 years
apart secondary to aspartame: two case reports, Paul Pisarik & Dasha Kai,
Cases J 2009.09.15 free full text: Rich Murray 2010.05.04
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.htm
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
[ at end of each long page, click on Older Posts ]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1600
[ You may have to Copy and Paste URLs into your browser ]

recent aspartame (methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid) symptoms in English
professor: Kristi Siegel: Rich Murray 2010.04.17
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.htm
Saturday, April 17, 2010