Topic: How long does aspartamane take to get out of your system?

Hi Janet,

Thanks for all your wonderful information.  I have been drinking diet soft drinks forever as well as consuming other products containing artificial sweetners (yoghurts, hot chocoloate drinks, protein powders/bars etc as well as I am sure many other products that I don't know contain artifical sweetners).  I have recently stopped consuming all artificial sweetners (actually it has been 37 days) and have changed my diet to be mostly organic meat and fruit/veg.  I have read a lot about how artificial sweetners can cause weight gain and am interested in your opinion on how long it would take artificial sweetners to leave the body (or the effect of them).  I have found that since stopping these products, despite eating very well and exercising, my weight has remained stable (and I would really like to be losing!)

Many thanks, Ally smile

Re: How long does aspartamane take to get out of your system?

Ally, it usually takes about 6-weeks to see the changes, but sometimes it can take a year to get the body back to normal depending on how long you used the chemicals. They could have affected your hormone levels, and that can take time. They can adversely affect your insulin and blood sugar levels, and this can take some time to restore. Detox, take plenty of vitamins to help speed recovery, and allow your body the time it needs to heal - it has been fed chemicals for a long time and time is what it needs to restore. But it will - it will! Everyday is one more day into recovery.

I noticed a change right away, actually. But as time went on, I really noticed how much better I felt. Mostly, I noticed the headaches were gone pretty quickly, my periods got better, and I slept better within the first few days.

If I accidentally get into any aspartame or Splenda, I get an immediate reaction, too. I feel sick and have a headache.

Everyone is an individual, so people react in individual ways and also recover in individual ways. It can depend on your body's make-up, if other toxins are present, your pH, if yeast is involved, lots of things. But all in all, once the input of aspartame and other toxic chemicals is stopped, recovery begins at that point. Restoration of any damage done varies with the individual, but no doubt, removing the toxic chemicals begins your recovery at that moment.

It takes a lot of vigilance to remain free of aspartame. Keep reading labels, even labels that you have previously read and found safe.

I am diabetic and was eating lots of sugar-free items, then I developed seizures that the doctors couldn't figure out. I even had a seizure while they were doing an EEG and they still couldn't figure it out. I stumbled upon the Sweet Poison website and decided to cut aspartame from my diet and six weeks later my seizure activity stopped. I also stopped using Splenda where I realized that Splenda was the reason I was having lots of migraines.

I have been off of artificial sweeteners for over a year and I am finally after years of trying able to lose weight and with very little effort.

Recently I noticed a little seizure activity again and some fuzziness in my brain. I finally tracked it down to the toothpaste that I was using. I had used a natural toothpaste for quite a while and switch to a name brand because it was less expensive. I discovered that the name brand has one flavor without harmful sweeteners, but all the other flavors have the harmful sweeteners. I read the labels in February and there wasn't a problem with the type I bought, but when I bought a tube in May I didn't read the label and missed seeing that the sweetener was now listed on the label.

I read a scientific study recently where they said 18 months is how long it takes.

Kayanne65 - you have saved your life and health by avoiding all exposure to the chemical sweeteners, and interestingly, when you were accidentally exposed to them, even in such a small amount, you had a reaction! This happens to me - it does not happen often because I am so careful with what I put into my body, but if I get into something at a restaurant or at someone's home that has aspartame or Splenda in it, I can tell within minutes because I feel really "odd", and I know that the chemicals were in something I ate or drank. Can you imagine how this makes our children feel? No wonder we have such dysfunction amid our younger generations. They feel awful all the time. What's life like for them, you know????

Gnarlodious - I work with many of the researchers on the aspartame dangers, and as far as I know, no research has been done on this, but if you have that research, or can find where you saw it, I would love to see it. Wouldn't this be a great thing to spread around!?

One thing for sure - the word is getting out about how toxic aspartame is and how the chemical sweeteners have NO benefit to health and nutrition. NONE! This truth will save lives, as it has saved Kayanne65, and people will begin to come out of this fog.....especially the younger generation.

Thanks to those like both of you, and everyone on this forum, who desire to keep this ball rolling and are helping to inform others!

I noticed an improvement right away. As time went on, I got better and better, but I had to learn how to look for the signs. Without reading Dr. Hull's book, Sweet Poison, I'm not sure if I would have put two and two together and even known all the health symptoms I had that were caused by aspartame. Like dry skin and hair loss, for example. The little things like having bad dreams more often and sleeping less soundly. Who'd know that was aspartame? I was quick to get angry and was moodier. The doctors just told me it was stress, but I haven't had these problems since I stopped all the diet sweeteners. Believe me, my stress level is up with the economy today, but I am not all stressed out like I was when I drank diet cokes every day.

drjshull wrote:

Gnarlodious - I work with many of the researchers on the aspartame dangers, and as far as I know, no research has been done on this, but if you have that research, or can find where you saw it, I would love to see it.

In a previous post entitled "Case studies: Genetic susceptibility to aspartame toxicity" the link points to this page:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2815650/

A quote from that page:

toxicity ~ took at least 15 months to clear after his cessation of aspartame use suggesting that aspartame's cochlear toxicity can be long lasting.

Fabulous!  This has not passed by me; I am so grateful you have shared this!  Sadly, 15 months, huh?? Someone who has used aspartame every day for YEARS has some work ahead!  Don't give up!!

I just wanted to thank you for posting this - I just joined because I was looking for information on how to overcome accidental Splenda intake. 

Thank you so much for doing this.

Alexandria

I am just finding this... its almost like a lightbulb going off for some reason...over the last year and a half I have dealt with some life changing things, and also have been dealing with depression and severe joint pain (knees)... I have went thru almost everything but surgery to find out what was wrong... My first Dr told me it was cause I went to Weight Watchers and oils in my system were being cut back.....   I also am exlporing hormonal... cause my pain is worse before that time of month... however, I just realized this morning that Ihaven't had any artificial sweetners in my coffee for 4 days.... and am really wondering if this could be the cause of my Knee pain.....?????? my knees dont hurt as bad as they have been.... I just googled this question and found this... so now I need to do more research and see what all I need to do... if you have any suggestions please send them my way!

Thanks

Believe in what you have realized, keep researching the diet sweeteners, and don't stop this new realization. Believe it.