Topic: Vitamin B6

I am curious about Dr. Hull's opinion on the Pyridoxal-5-phosphate mentioned in the November article by Joseph Hattersley as well as her opinion on the products sold by VRP.

Re: Vitamin B6

Excellent question, and thank you for asking my opinion. Vitamin B6 deficiency is becoming more complicated as time goes on because toxic food chemicals are becoming more prolific in the food supply. Therefore, it appears that P5P supplements may be needed by more and more individuals than used in the past. With the onslaught of aspartame, MSG and other neurotransmitters used more and more today than in the past, pyridoxal 5 phosphate may be a key to protect against memory loss and severe brain dysfunction such as ADD and autism.

Regular vitamin B6 supplementation raises levels of P5P, and this used to be sufficient in replacing low levels of B6. However, toxic food chemicals have created an increasing deficiency in enzymes that convert pyridoxine into pyridoxal 5 phosphate, and hence supplementing with P5P may benefit more people today than in the past.

I wanted to ask a related question about B6.  Specifically toxic levels.  I have a family member with extremely high levels of B6.  Still not sure of the source, but likely not food induced.   Blood testing shows B6 levels above 200...so she has neuropathy and other symptoms.

However, she also eats a TON of gum with aspartame.  I came across your site because of the articles on aspartame. 

Is there any link between aspartame and high levels of B6?  I have been researching this problem forever and I'm grateful to have found this site. 

Thanks in advance.  (p.s. she has removed all aspartame from her diet as of yesterday, so I will gladly post the results).

Vitamin B6 have to be acquired from the diet because bodies cannot synthesize it.Vitamin B6, as well accepted as pyridoxine hydrochloride, is capital for the breakdown of aliment by the body, and axis carbohydrates, proteins and fat into energy.

B6 was a critical nutrient I took when I was recovering from my aspartame reaction and restoring my thyroid. It has so many important uses in the body. I did take a natural B6 supplement, though, and it worked effectively for me.

Vitamin B6 is one of the very vital substance for brain and increasing power of memory. This vitamin is very reduce the effects of some of major health problems such as arthritis, irritable, depression, crack lips, anemia and many more.

As one of the B Vitamins, B6 is not a wise supplement to take on its own.
The B Vitamins are synergistic....they all need each other. When women were taking B6 alone for stress......although B6 is amazing for this condition, their hair was dropping out and other problems occured......so vitamins got a bad name.
If B complex is taken and then a higher dose of B6 is added, the stress problems will be noticeably improved.

Onwards and Upwards!!

Last edited by Jualsy (01-02-2012 2:06 pm)

I so agree! Always take the complexes, and if extra isolated vitamin forms are needed, then add that to the complex.