Topic: Medical: Humans incapable of metabolizing formaldehyde

Methanol is itself harmless but is a Trojan horse for formaldehyde, a chemical that can pose a severe risk to humans, who appear to be the only mammal exclusively endowed with a hepatic catalase enzyme incapable of removing dietary methanol before it can enter the general circulation.

Methanol: A chemical Trojan Horse
http://whilesciencesleeps.com/references/pdf/586

Re: Medical: Humans incapable of metabolizing formaldehyde

So that holds true for alcoholic drinks, too? It seems so many more people started having serious health problems using aspartame that didn't exist in the olden days when alcohol was even stronger. Why do you think this is? Is something else in the aspartame that kicks the formaldehyde in?

Alcohol for drinking is ethanol... containing two of the hydrogen groups compared to one group in methanol. Sloppily made drinking alcohol can contain methanol, which happened a lot during the Prohibition and was a factor in repealing the law, because so many people were being poisoned. Legal taxed liquor is tightly regulated and inspected to insure adequate distillation, so don't worry.

You can get formaldehyde from many sources, one modern source is carpets and manufactured building materials. No doubt a cumulative effect occurs to people exposed to several different sources. For example, someone who smokes cigarettes, lives in a mobile home, drinks Aspartame

Hi Gnarlodious, so are you saying there is Formaldehyde in cigarettes ?  Giving up smoking is my next goal.  And I'm now wondering if I will get the "I feel so much better" effect now that I have given up Aspartame.  Because in the past when I had given up it made absolutely NO difference to the way I felt, even after 2yrs.  If I had felt better for giving up I have no doubt I would have stuck with it instead of going back to the smokes.  Should be interesting.

While we are "Cherry Picking" I found the following after a short search.  There is a link at the bottom for the complete article for those who want to read more.

What is aspartame made of?

Aspartame is made by joining two protein components, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and a small amount of methanol. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are building blocks of protein and are found naturally in all protein-containing foods, including meats, grains and dairy products. Methanol is found naturally in the body and in many foods such as fruit and
vegetable juices.
Incomplete and inaccurate information. Real-world aspartame-containing products contain more than just methanol, aspartic acid, and phenylalanine. These products also contain breakdown products of aspartame such as beta-aspartame (Lawrence 1987, Stamp 1989b) and aspartylphenylalanine didetopiperazine (DKP) (Tsang 1985).

Because the amino acids are not bound in proteins, they are absorbed quickly and spike the plasma aspartic acid and phenylalanine to high levels. Even the industry researchers admit that these amino acids are metabolized differently than those found in foods (Stegink 1987a, Stegink 1987b). Methanol is found in *available form* in much greater quantities in aspartame than in real foods (Monte 1984). Methanol taken orally is extremely toxic to humans. Even though a small amount is found in the body, as little as a can of diet soda can spike the plasma methanol levels significantly (Davoli 1986).

This is the beginning of IFIC's nonsensical information about aspartame. One has to realize that IFIC is the public relations organization for Monsanto/NutraSweet and many other junk food companies. I suppose in a strange sort of way that it is appropriate that they use "junk science" to defend certain dangerous junk foods.

Davoli, E., et al., 1986. "Serum Methanol Concentrations in Rats and in Men After a Single Dose of Aspartame," Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 24, No. 3, page 187-189.

Lawrence, J.F., J.R. Iyengar, 1987. "Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Beta-Aspartame in Diet Soft Drinks, Beverage Powders and Pudding Mixes," Journal of Chromatography, Volume 404, page 261-266.

Monte, Woodrow C., 1984. "Aspartame: Methanol and the Public Health," Journal of Applied Nutrition, Volume 36, No. 1, page 42-54.

Stamp, Jeffrey A., Theodore P. Labuza, 1989a. "An Ion-Pair High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for the Determination of Aspartame and its Decomposition Products," Journal of Food Science, Volume 54, No. 4, pg. 1043-1046.

Stegink, Lewis D., et al. 1987a. "Plasma Amino Acid Concentrations in Normal Adults Administered Aspartame in Capsules or Solution: Lack of Bio equivalence," Metabolism, Volume 36, No. 5, page 507-512.

Stegink, Lewis D., et al., 1987b. "Plasma Amino Acid Concentrations in Normal Adults Ingesting Aspartame and Monosodium L-Glutamate as Part of a Soup/Beverage Meal," Metabolism, Volume 36, No. 11, page 1073-1079.

Tsang, Wing-Sum, et al., 1985. "Determination of Aspartame and Its Breakdown Products in Soft Drinks by Reverse- Phase Chromatography with UV Detection," Journal Agriculture and Food Chemistry, Vol. 33, No. 4, page 734- 738.

How is aspartame handled by the body?

Aspartame is digested just like any other protein. Upon digestion, aspartame breaks down into it basic components and is absorbed into the blood. Neither aspartame nor its components accumulate in the body over time.
This is an outright falsehood. Even the industry researchers admit that it is not handled like any other protein. Chapter two in the industry's own book on aspartame proves this "information" wrong.

I have to admit, though, saying that it is handled like any other protein makes good PR, but it would be laughed out of any reputable scientific journal.

Saying that aspartame's components don't accumulate in the body is based on a few poorly conducted animal tests and wishful thinking. Formic acid (a toxic metabolite of methanol) likely can accumulate in the organs (Liesivuori 1991). No one knows if DKP or a metabolite of DKP accumulates in the body over time. Proper tests have not been conducted. Aspartic acid may accumulate for a significant amount of time like another excitotoxic amino acid, glutamic acid (Toth 1981). Much of the damage caused by aspartic acid and glutamic acid ingested orally is clearly laid out by Dr. Russell Blaylock, Professor of Neurosurgery, in his well-referenced book, "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills." Either way, gradual damage can be caused by aspartame breakdown products even when they do not accumulate. A chemical does not have to accumulate to cause damage.

Liesivuori, Jyrki, Heikki Savolainen, 1991. "Methanol and Formic Acid Toxicity: Biochemical Mechanisms,"
Pharmacology & Toxicology, Volume 69, page 157-163.

Toth, E., Abel Lajtha, 1981. "Elevation of Cerebral Levels on essential Amino Acids In Vivo by Administration of Large Doses," Neurochemistry Research, Volume 6, page1309-1317.

http://www.dorway.com/offasprt.html

mrosenfeld7 wrote:

Interesting articles from 20-30 years ago...LOL....

I fail to see how age has anything to do with validity.

mrosenfeld7 - go find another forum. Banned.

Morepower! - it is sad that the proof was available over 30 years ago proving aspartame is a dangerous toxic for human consumption, and that this proof has been kept from public view for one reason only - $$$$$$$. You are correct in all your thoughts, opinions, beliefs, and concerns.

Research doesn't change - dead lab animals don't change. The ingredients in aspartame haven't changed. It has been a toxic from the start, and that hasn't changed.

The research from all over the world has recently proven AGAIN that aspartame is a carcinogen, causing lymphoma and leukemia. Nothing has changed over time - aspartame is a dangerous toxin, it always will be. Don't pay attention to the people who find a need to defend it. They should be pitied for having such a closed mind. And keep in mind that those that defend it either have money involved and/or they are using it. And that simply proves that aspartame indeed affects balanced emotions and cognitive function.