Topic: sudden high blood pressure , panic attacks

When I was 39 years old I had a cardiac episode where I had arrythmia and during the night in the hospital my heart damage enzymes went high.I was given a heart cath the next day which just showed that my small arteries were very small.During the next eight years I have been fairly healthy but have had episodes of sudden anxiety paired with BPs of around 150/100 which comes down very slowly even with meds.The last couple years my BP was fine and I'm in pretty good shape for 47 I'm 5'3" 135 pounds.This year my blood pressure started to get erratic again and the feelings of panic would strike.I was treating these episodes with a low dose topral and a low dose xanax.Just recently both my regular doc and my cardiologist said to go on daily topral.I have been monitoring my BP.Yesterday morning it was fine .Then later in the day I felt a bit dizzy and my BP was 147/95.I told my husband "I just don't get it my BP is high all I did was drink a diet 7 up." I decided to do research on aspertame and I think that it might be my problem.Back when I had the heart episode I was using slim fast and probably diet pop.Until lately I did'nt drink diet pop on a regular basis until this year I got into a habit of picking up diet caffiene free pop for myself and drinking about 2 a day one on the morning & one around lunch.If I think about it the anxiety would hit after those drinks.Since I decided caffiene was the culprit I had bought flavored caffiene free sugar free coffee to enjoy on weekend mornings.I remember telling my husband later."I just don't get it I felt fine this morning now I feel anxious." Today I'm saying no artificial sweeteners for me or my family.My blood pressure is perfect today 111/77 and I have not had my morning pop.I should mention that my 20 year old son was having vertigo problems and he was drinking sugar free drinks at college since I had warned him about drinking too much sugary pop.Boy do I feel dumb I will tell him to steer clear of any artificial sweeteners.

Re: sudden high blood pressure , panic attacks

Second day with no diet pop and I'm feeling fine.I have to add that the last few months I was waking up with painful legs every day and today I have no pain or stiffness in my legs at all. smile

That ll sounds like your pretty standard Aspartame

Anytime aspartame is used and health symptoms arise, always remove the aspartame and see how fast they disappear.......don't let that diet pop run your life. It's not worth it!

I have these exact symptoms when I'm exposed to any artificial sweeteners, but especially aspartame -- very high blood pressure and high pulse, with heart palpitations.  In fact, today I had this same reaction to a flavored coffee for the new coffee makers, the coffees that come in little tubs.  It was the hazelnut flavored coffee, so I suspect it has artificial sweeteners.  Has anyone heard if these coffee tubs made by Green Mountain have artificial sweeteners?  The label just says it contains artificial and natural flavors, but the description says buttery and sweet.  Anyway, it meant a trip to the emergency room for me today.

Oh my goodness. The label should say aspartame or any other sweeteners, but they are now adding neotame to stuff and that's not on the label. Neotame is just like aspartame.

I bet your doctor didn't find any cause for your attack especially if it was caused by a food toxin like aspartame.

I had the EXACT things happen to me. You would enjoy reading my book, Sweet Poison - you'll feel like you are reading about yourself.

Many reactions to aspartame are so very similar for many people. This speaks volumes, and it also makes you NOT feel like you are crazy or all alone.