Topic: How to cook healthy eggs?

Do you know how to cook eggs in healthy ways. For adults, boiling is the best cooking method, but it's unfavorable to cook for a long time; 5-7 minutes is enough. Remember to take time in eating; otherwise, it will affect egg digestion and nutrition absorbing. Different from adults, steamed eggs and egg soups suit children, for such cooking ways make protein easy to absorb for kids. Besides, fried eggs are likely to be harmful to health. If an egg is fried with burning scorches on its edges, the white part may become low molecular amino acids which can form toxic chemicals at high temperatures.

Re: How to cook healthy eggs?

I agree, but if frying eggs, fry them in olive oil and don't burn them.

I love using olive oil as well as coconut oil and butter.  Each of these has its own distinctive taste and benefit to what is being cooked.  For using coconut oil I find the flavor rather overwhelming and dominating to the food cooked.  It does however produce a fantastic popcorn.  Good quality olive oil is really pleasing to the sense of smell and taste, salad or cooking.

Since the Atkins diet came out many years ago there have been several studies that comment on just about every oil imaginable and they all leave the human brain spinning and so full of questions, many that are never asked and many that cannot be answered, to satisfaction.  In today’s society the term fat (lard) for cooking was just not used until recently.  I have been reading many references that consider good old “bacon fat” as a cooking oil.  Remembering back to my youth (during and following WW2) we always used bacon “drippings” on our grits instead of butter.  Myself, not knowing at the time, loved it because that is what mother recommended.  Although she probably did not have butter because of rationing.   I, even today, love an egg fried in the “drippings” of bacon and use it in my corn bread and fry hamburgers in the drippings after frying the bacon that goes on top of the burgers.

Many of the current oils are made from the old GMO grains and should be avoided.  Bacon also should probably be avoided because of some of the ingredients used in the production.  But then again it is hard to give up all of one’s vices, totally.

Just my opinion, I love good country cookin’,
PatB

I have never use olive oil to cook eggs. I will make a try. Thank you for your idea.

I use olive oil for everything. I even put it in my dogs' food - their coats are silky and their joints are lubricated naturally. It works the same way for humans, too.

I am from the south, PatB, and bacon grease and lard were a staple in my grandparent's kitchen outside Atlanta. My grandparents lived to be 101 and 102 respectively. Hum, what does that say about natural foods eaten in moderation? They ate biscuits with gravy, natural butter and creams, greens in bacon fat, homegrown meats and dairy. They ate what we are told not to eat, but it didn't harm them one bit. It was all natural food, though. NO chemicals added!

drjshull wrote:

I use olive oil for everything. I even put it in my dogs' food - their coats are silky and their joints are lubricated naturally. It works the same way for humans, too.

I am from the south, PatB, and bacon grease and lard were a staple in my grandparent's kitchen outside Atlanta. My grandparents lived to be 101 and 102 respectively. Hum, what does that say about natural foods eaten in moderation? They ate biscuits with gravy, natural butter and creams, greens in bacon fat, homegrown meats and dairy. They ate what we are told not to eat, but it didn't harm them one bit. It was all natural food, though. NO chemicals added!

Dr. Hull I just love this post, I’m getting hungry just reading it.  Your key word in the whole statement is “moderation”, if that one word could only be taken/used in our food decisions and consumption we ALL would be much better off.

And don’t forget grits with a bit of bacon drippings on top, yum.

PatB

Just for fun thought I would add this to my last post.  A couple weeks back I fixed a pot of braised cabbage in bacon grease and mixed some broad noodles in with the cooked cabbage and tossed that with the crumbled bacon.  Needless to say I did not have even a noodle left over.  I will be adding this to my Thanksgiving menu.

1/2 pound bacon
1 medium head greed cabbage
1 small onion
1 package 16oz broad noodles

Cut cabbage in half then half again.  Cut into shreds and set aside.  Cut the onion into fourths and dice fine, set aside.  Cut bacon into half inch dice and fry in Dutch oven till crisp.  Remove bacon and add the cabbage and onion to pot, stir and simmer till done to desired tenderness.  Meanwhile cook the noodles per package directions.  Try to cook the noodles so they will be done about the same time the cabbage is done.  You may want to not cook the noodles completely, they will finish in the hot cabbage.  When the noodles are done drain and put right into the pot with the cabbage and turn to combine and top with the crumbled bacon.

Enjoy, PatB