Topic: Aspartame effects to me?

App 2years ago I quit drinking reg Soda (never drank diet as I didn't like the taste) and I switched to sugar-free flavored water both carbobnated and non-carbonated drinks, and have been drinking alot of them.
      After a virus/cold last feb (07) I have had severe headaches. I have been to Cleveland clinic, both headache clinic then brain tumor clinic, I have either demylinating  plaque (not sure of spelling) or a low grade tumor they say is unrelated to my headaches. I have also have achey thighs and my memory process is not what it should be, things that should be clear I have to think about. I am 48yo and in otherwise good health. Treatment as not gotten rid of my headaches including migraine medication. Is aspartame a possible consideration since I do drink alot of beverages with sugar substitutes?
      I have had info e-mail to me, some saying Aspartame is ok (like snopes.com), some saying it is not like yours.
      I am willing to try things like aliminating Aspartame if it is a POSSIBLE issue for me.   ....... IS IT POSSIBLE?
                Rich from Erie,Pennsylvania USA

Re: Aspartame effects to me?

Darn it, EriePA, I had a great reply for you and then my satellite connection went down and I lost it. I will reply when I visit the site the next time.

Great question that requires a good answer.

Hi, just want to let you know what has gone on with me since i no longer use any aspartame.  I have been off all of it for 7 weeks now and i am starting to feel so must better. No leg problems, No bad headaches, No more dizzleness, No mre feeling bad.  I am so glad. I have been on this stuff for years and i did not know it was from aspartame.  thank you for all your help.  Dolores

princess - way to go! You and those like you are why I do what I do after 15+ years.....you and thousands of other people are figuring out that aspartame is a true toxin that makes you sick. Sadly, you have to feel your way through the dark to determine this with little help because the politics of greed is keeping the consumers in the dark. Wouldn't it be nice if one, just one, of the major talk show hosts would step up to the plate and air a national story about this?

Think of all the human suffering they could prevent - including your experience. But for now, you are the stronger and wiser one who WILL save lives and show your true integrity above others. Share your experience and spread the truth to help humanity, especially the children innocently exposed to this toxin. And I am so glad that you have now turned your health in the right direction. Aspartame and diet sweeteners are toxic and they harm human health - no question about it!

If no one has listened to you so far, know that you are now being heard by many!

My doctor told me that he was the "doctor" and "not me" when I went in with aspartame symptoms causing severe menstrual issues and migraine headaches. He said, " I'm the doctor, not you. Leave the medicine up to me. I know best."  Well, sorry, I removed all aspartame form my diet, and guess what?  All my migraines and PMS and skipped periods went away. I've been headache free for over 6 months. If I accidentally get into aspartame (and that real easy to do with aspartame in everything NOT labeled sugar-free), I get an instant headache. Watch out for the flavored waters - they all have aspartame and the other chemical sweeteners.

Instant headache.

Who's the smarter one here??

Wow.  I have been suffering with major headaches and hip joint pain since 2001.  I have been associating these things with my move to a new area at that same time.  I am 49 YO and I am noticing memory problems now as well as vision changes that just seem to be happening to early and too quickly.  We have gone through the expense of purchasing 3 different types of mattresses to alleviate my hip pain at night to no avail.  I have bought countless pairs of tennies and stopped wearing anything greater than a one inch heal.  There are times when I can not climb steps. Even walking at times is painful (my poor dog).  I have been to the doctor to no avail... and xrays are completely wnl.  Today I got an e-mail from my daughter regarding aspartame.... and I am certainly wondering.  I am DEFINITELY going to detox starting RIGHT NOW!!!!!  I have been very scared... always thinking the worst... MS, MD, severe arthritis, will I become w/c bound.  I am TOO YOUNG for all of this pain.  I am a HUGE diet *Coke drinker.  At least 3 cans a day!  I know it will be dificult to quit because I CRAVE it!!!!  Sickening huh?

Last edited by Linda1 (06-18-2008 11:18 pm)

Well, Linda1, at least you are honest. And you can fix this problem by replacing that diet cola can with a glass bottle of pure water. You will return to feeling younger than your age and be able to spin your doc's head around with the vitality you created by yourself, using no drugs and by eliminating all the toxic chemicals in your diet. Hum, wonder how many heads you'll turn wondering how you restored your old self, including your doc's?  Go, girl!

I have not had a diet soda since 6/18/08.  BUT.... I cant believe the places I am finding aspartame!   You are so right about going through the cabinets and fridge to check EVERY label!  Yep.... even the Mayo!
I am becoming a water hound!  Can't seem to quench my thirst though. 
Have only had a headache two days of the last 12, (Barometric pressure?)  and my hip pain DOES seem to be getting better!!  (Note:  because the pain has never been constant.. some good days and some very bad,   I will need more time to evaluate this).   
I have always been very active, full of energy... rock climbing, hiking, biking etc... and was ready to believe that somehow I had used up my joints... I am keeping a journal of what is happening with me as I continue aspartame free!
As for my eyesight... no change.  Memory??? Havent really had a memorable "moment" in the last 12 days. (Better?  Maybe)
The only thing that has really been adverse since I quit is this fuzzy feeling I have in my head.... and some real lethargy.  (Think that another possibility is that this may be related to all of the smoke in the skies of Cali... we'll see)  I honestly have not craved the diet soda. 
A colleague of mine and I quit together.... and she reports having that fuzzy feeling in her head too!  Hmmmmm.  Will keep you posted as I go. Hoping for the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Janet!

First of all, God Bless you for all your good work and tenacious spirit!
Secondly, Howdy to a fellow Oregonian! (Portland Metro here!)
Lastly, I truly feel like ca-ca!  Waaahhhhhhhhhh!!!  Here's why...

Medical/Aspertame History:
6-8 cans of Diet-Pepsi daily consumption for the past 9 years! (Hi, my name
is Shar... I'm a recovering Diet-Pepsi User)
Diagnosed Bi-Polar - On antidepressant, Effexor, and  Lithium for past 9
years & presently.

Felt completely fine, up until 4 mos. ago, I suffered a Pulmonary Embolism
& was put on Coumadin Therapy.  I adhere to Coumadin's recommended restrictive
diet of Potassium (Broccoli, Leafy Veges), Aspirin, Anti-Inflammatories, etc. 
I have been in agonizing pain, since my PE & can only deduct that the
combination of Coumadin & Aspertame is somehow the culprit.  I have ceased
all Aspertame consumption 5 days ago, sans withdrawal symptoms... Newsflash: 
I still feel like crap!  I realize that it may take some time, if ever, to
feel good again.  Must interject here, that despite being Bi-Polar, my
ailments are NOT imaginary!  I am suffering from very real &  unbelievable
back pain, headaches, muscle soreness, malaise... all of these symptoms
increasing with intensity.

I was a healthy, energetic 52 yr. old prior to PE,  with no marked side-effects
from Aspertame, Effexor & Lithium for 9 years.  I have read that Aspertame
& antidepressants can be a bad combination, but thankfully that wasn't so in
my case.... Or who knows?  Maybe after dropping the Aspertame, I may find I
don't need the Psycho-pharmaceuticals???  smile  Oh boy, I could go into a
whole different area here...

But there must be something going on with me, concerning the Coumadin-Aspertame
usage.  I wondered why my Pharmacist or the Physicians didn't warn me of the
indications of Coumadin-Aspertame Cocktail... I mean they told me 'bout the
Potassium & ohther Indications.  But after hours of Internet Research on the
subject, I have learned that these "Professionals" are clueless about the
effects of Aspertame with other drugs.

Are you aware of any studies on the use of blood-thinning products (Coumadin,
Warfarin, Heparin) & Aspertame?  With my 9 yr. - 8 cans of Diet Pepsi a day,
do you have any idea how long it will take for my body to rid itself of the
Aspertame Toxins?

I will keep you posted on my progress... and F.Y.I, my PE wasn't a result of
Aspertame (No matter how BAD the stuff is), but rather an airline flight!

Ouch,
Shar-

im sorry to go off topic but walkers crisp also contain aspartame, u missed this out on ur list, thankyou and may i ask a question.. how do we stop aspartame being used?

I was a Diet Dr Pepper drinker, at least 6 cans a day.  I was feeling very tired lethargic, got kidney stones, etc etc.  Two years ago somebody told me the risks about aspartame and I tried to stop drinking the Dr Pepper.  I went one day and had such a bad headache and shakes that I decided to go get a soda, to my surprise I felt better.  That made me realize how addicting the aspartame actually is.  I then took steps over the next two weeks to "wheen"  myself off of aspartame.   I feel so much better now.  I still have blurred vision which started when I was drinking the soda, but it seems to be getting better over time, not sure if that will ever return.  I do classes to teach people about diabetes, aspartame etc., I am so surprised at the amount of people that are unaware of the effects of aspartame.  My 10 year old daughter comes to me and asks me for aspartame.  NOT to eat of course but to KILL ants. 

To all of those trying to stop using, hang in there you will stop and the withdrawls will go away.   

FYI-be sure to put artificial sweetners on your list for the dr and or hospitals as something you are allergic to-it is in alot of the food at the hospitals. 

Go natural

Carol

NEW - NATURAL SWEETENER

Hi all, I am new to this, so please excuse any lack of correct etiquette.
I am the owner of a company called Zsweet Europe and we have just launched Europe's first ever ALL NATURAL sweetener - Zero calorie - Zero glcemic load - Zero aftertaste our website is www.zsweet.eu   
Zsweet is made from a natural ingredient called 'ERYTHRITOL' which is found in grapes and melons.  I am passionate about bringing details of this breakthrough ingredient to the wider public, so please pardon this blatant advert.

Please let me know if this post is inappropriate.
regards,
Cormac Walsh

I am thrilled to have so many wonderful thoughts and opinions about the sweet alternatives going on here - this is what this forum is all about. Thanks everyone for the great comments and for sharing what you each have discovered.

Typically aspartame leaves the body quickly - within a matter of days. And when it is stopped completely, it is merely weeks before the body heaves a grand sigh of relief - no more toxins being fed to it. But, depending on the individual, aspartame recovery can take up to a year to detox and restore the essential nutrients that a chemical diet removes from the body.

Cormac mentioned erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol. Technically, these sugars are fruit sugars that have been taken from the fruit and dried. Then, they are added to processed food products. They are a safer sweetener, for sure, but too much can cause IBS and stomach cramping, diarrhea, and the like. Whenever elements are taken out of their natural matrix and added into another item that they are not originally found in, some health issues and negative reactions can occur, but they are not toxic issues, concerning the sugar alcohols. This is a big point to make because chemical sweeteners and food additives are toxic, as opposed to the natural sweeteners, like the sugar alcohols. These sugars are much safer for children, are generally non-toxic, and they do not cause neurological issues, cancer, leukemia or lymphoma like the research has shown aspartame does.

Carol's comment about the doctors and hospitals excusing the toxic effects on people as "allergic" reactions is a really good comment. It is too common these days for people with serious health reactions to aspartame and the other diet sweeteners to not be taken seriously when they try to connect aspartame and their health symptoms. But, as time goes on, the doctors that do not consider aspartame as a toxic cause of headaches, seizures, brain lesions, cancer, skin rashes, vision problems - I could take this list on and on - well, consider that this doctor is too busy to keep up with current issues, has been "advised" to stay away from this very litigious issue, or is close-minded and unwilling to step outside his comfort zone and opinions.

This is when you kindly smile and say - hum, I think I'll find another doctor. remember, it is OK to shop your doc. They are just people, not deities.

Just found out about aspartame last night and am starting the detox program today.  What a scare.  First of all i am a recovering addict of drugs and alcohol and have been sober for 12 years.  About 4 years ago i quit the cigerette addiction and thought i was was doing great by switching to eclipse gum.  Don't fall over but i chewed 6 to 9 PACKS a day.  I hate the thoughts of going through the withdraws of another addiction.  I'm 47 and have had some health issues lately.  I've noticed my hair is really thinning out and my eyes are getting worse.  I assumed it was old age If there's any kind of gum or candy or any thing that will help the withdraws and won't cause weight gain please let me know and wish me luck.. God Bless

Best of luck to you Rinda! I know from personal experience, exercise and increasing water consumption really helped me overcome my cigarette addiction.

Try getting on a consistent cardiovascular regimen.

Best,

- Andy

Rinda - old age is when you turn 90!  Remember that!

Anyone can turn their life around at any age under any circumstances. It takes discipline, faith in self, lots of studying and relearning, and some chutzpa - your docs will shame you and you must take from them what helps you, and leave what makes you feel worthless and negative at their door as you leave their office - after you have paid.

AA told Mary Stoddard with the Aspartame Consumer Safety Network years ago that they noticed their recovering alcoholics drank liters of diet drinks. This is because of the free-methanol in aspartame - it was a fix in the memory receptors of the alcoholic's brain.

Linda1 wrote:

Wow.  I have been suffering with major headaches and hip joint pain since 2001.  I have been associating these things with my move to a new area at that same time.  I am 49 YO and I am noticing memory problems now as well as vision changes that just seem to be happening to early and too quickly.  We have gone through the expense of purchasing 3 different types of mattresses to alleviate my hip pain at night to no avail.  I have bought countless pairs of tennies and stopped wearing anything greater than a one inch heal.  There are times when I can not climb steps. Even walking at times is painful (my poor dog).  I have been to the doctor to no avail... and xrays are completely wnl.  Today I got an e-mail from my daughter regarding aspartame.... and I am certainly wondering.  I am DEFINITELY going to detox starting RIGHT NOW!!!!!  I have been very scared... always thinking the worst... MS, MD, severe arthritis, will I become w/c bound.  I am TOO YOUNG for all of this pain.  I am a HUGE diet *Coke drinker.  At least 3 cans a day!  I know it will be dificult to quit because I CRAVE it!!!!  Sickening huh?

Linda1:

I used to have achy ankles and feet and had a hard time with stairs until I quit eating RED MEAT INFUSED WITH STEROIDS.  My father had terrible arthritis and his doc told him to quit eating read meat and it helped.  When I began having arthritic issues, I quit the red meat, except for natural, hormone free meat, and I feel great.  I am also 49 years old.

rindamiller79 wrote:

Just found out about aspartame last night and am starting the detox program today.  What a scare.  First of all i am a recovering addict of drugs and alcohol and have been sober for 12 years.  About 4 years ago i quit the cigerette addiction and thought i was was doing great by switching to eclipse gum.  Don't fall over but i chewed 6 to 9 PACKS a day.  I hate the thoughts of going through the withdraws of another addiction.  I'm 47 and have had some health issues lately.  I've noticed my hair is really thinning out and my eyes are getting worse.  I assumed it was old age If there's any kind of gum or candy or any thing that will help the withdraws and won't cause weight gain please let me know and wish me luck.. God Bless

Try carrots, celery, cucumbers, and other low cal veggies that are healthful.  You will get your 'chews' in and help your health also.  And try to concentrate on chewing longer than usual also.  This will help with digestion and you will be chewing longer.  Any feces issues should be helped also.,

has chewing gum got sweetener in it and will this harm mw i have 1-2 packsa day.

Yes, it's harmful to you.  Most of them contain aspartame.  All of them have artficial sweeteners, unless you get Bubblicious or someting with regular sugar in it.  Check out a health store or the Vitamin Shoppe for healthy alternatives.

I ALSO CHEW SUGARLESS GUM AND EAT LITE YOGURT BOTH CONTAIN ASPERTAME. I NEED TO KNOW IF THIS MAYBE IS CAUSING THE SMOKE MUSTY SMELL AT TIMES IN MY NOSE AND ALSO THE TASTE BUDS AT TIMES ARE WIERD IN MY MOUTH I AM PERIMENOPAUSAL, HAVE HYPOTHYROID I'M ON MEDS FOR THAT LOWEST DOSE THYROID NORMAL NOW I WORK OUT AND EAT HEALTHY BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THIS HORRIBLE SMELL THAT COMES EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS. I CHEWED ALOT OF GUM EVERYDAY FOR AT LEAST A YEAR OR MORE BEING AN EX SMOKER AND AM WONDERING IF THE ASPERTAME MAY HAVE CAUSED THIS. I AM STOPPING ALL TODAY LIKE I STOPPED CIGS AFTER 30 YEARS. IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER ME OR MAYBE DR. HULL CAN SHED SOME KIND OF HOPE FOR ME I'D SO APPRECIATE THAT.
                       THANK YOU

Most every chewing gum out there has aspartame or another chemical sweetener in it. I search for the original Dentyne in the red and white wrapper and then the original Chiclets - both can be found at a Big Lots or the Dollar Stores because all the mainstream drug stores, Walmarts, Targets, grovery stores etc seem to just have the newer gum. Again, all the new gum has one or more of the diet sweeteners in them. And think of the number of children chewing these chemicals. When they get headaches and they are chewing gum, focus on that gum as the cause.

Hi, I'm brand new to this site, tonight.  I'm a 40+ yr migraine sufferer; first noticed when I was 16, but may have had them since early childhood (always suffered from severe headaches.)  Was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia in my 20's and "switched" to artificial sweenteners then.  I finally figured out that aspartame was a MAJOR trigger for me about 10 yrs ago, and have dilligently avoided it, although in gum (solid, not liquid form) it seemed to have a less toxic effect for me.  I HAVE ingested other chemical sweeteners, however, because too much sugar is also a migraine trigger for me.
Overall, I have always eaten a very healthy diet (farmer's granddaughter): cook mostly from scratch, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, I garden organically in the summer, rarely drink soda, almost never eat "junk" food or "fast food".  Do have a sweet tooth, though, so occassionally indulged in "diet" deserts and snacks.  I do not, and never have, smoked.
February 08 I became suddenly, violently ill; thought it was gall bladder at first. March 2008 I was diagnosed with majorly life threatening primary liver cancer, or HCC (Heptocellular Carcinoma), a GRAPEFRUIT sized tumor, with NO KNOWN cause - NOT the usual Hepatitis or cirrhosis/alcoholism.  (I couldn't POSSIBLY be a alcoholic - alcohol ALSO is one of my major migraine triggers - especially red wine and beer!)  ALL my doctors thought I was a "goner", but I survived MAJOR resection surgery - my entire right lobe removed (60% of liver) and have spent the last 8 months recovering.  Unfortunately, just got word beginning of December that I have suffered a cancer recurrence and face more major surgery in several weeks.
My questions to Dr. Hull or the other drs at this site:  You mention "cancer" as one of the 'side effects' of chemical sweetener usage.  What kind(s) of cancers do they cause?  How long does it take to "develop"?  Are there any stats or studies on this subject?  Could my HCC be a result of my fairly moderate ingestion of saccarine, sucralose and aspartame over 30+ years?  I have tried to avoid such since the surgery, but have eaten a few "energy bars" containing sucralose while at work, in a "pinch".  Do I have myself and these chemicals to blame?  (My medical team has specified "UNRESTRICTED diet" and have offered NO guidance in this area.)  Is there anyway to "flush" this stuff out of my system and possibly avoid a second recurrence (assuming I survive surgery #2)?  Or, as I fear from what I've read online, is this ball set in motion, with nothing to stop it?  Any ray of hope you can give me - or at least help me pinpoint a "cause" (I'm driving myself crazy with this question) would be so very gratefully appreciated.
Babbs55

I am a RN who suffered for many years from 1981 until 1998 from illnesses that not one Dr. could tell me what was wrong.  I would drink about 6 diet Dr. Peppers/day and put Equal in all my coffee and tea.  I drank a lot of coffee in those days.   During these years I started having "spells" that affected one side of my body during which I couldn't think straight and just had to sit there.  Whatever I was doing I had to stop moving or talking and just sit down and put my head down because I would also felt like I was going to faint.  These spells would last 5 days with the 3rd day being the worse, with the spells happening every 15 minutes.  I went to a Neurologist and she did a MRI and EEG which showed nothing.  She put me on Depakote . A friend of mine had been to a seminar and heard Dr. Blaylock speak at a Juice Plus Conference about his book.  He asked me if I drank diet drinks or used Equal and I told him I did.  He told me to ask my Neurologist if Aspartame could be causing all my problems so I did and she just laughed at me and said that was absurd.   Needless to say I never went back to her and I took myself off all forms of Aspartame and my spells went away.  Before I knew about the toxic affects  I also suffered from severe GERD and was on medication for this.  I couldn't sleep at night because of palpitations and had to wear a holter monitor more times than I would like to tell.  I was put on Inderal for this after seeing a cardiologist.  I also had a tumor come up on my Thyroid and had to have that removed in 1988.  Night vision left me and I couldn't drive at night and my memory was totally gone.  I thought I was losing my mind.  Panic attacks were frequent events and this was so not like me.
I had to spend one night in CCU and the cardiologist put me on Xanax .25 3x's daily.  I only took it at night though to help me sleep because of my heart skipping.  I was sent to a Rheumatologist because my Rheumatoid Factor was up and they also thought I might have Lupus.  Needless to say I was in terrible shape.  I had gained about 30 pounds and she told me I needed to lose weight and put me on Zoloft which made me a zombie and I gained more weight instead of losing and I weaned myself off of this drug.   My symptoms slowly went away and the "spell" or "seizures" were gone for about 1 1/2 years until after I ate at a Church function one Sunday.  I called around to see who made what dishes.  I had eaten Lemon Squares for dessert and the lady who made them said she had used diet Jello Pudding.  Her husband is a Diabetic.  I knew then that all of this had to be from the Aspartame.  I had read your book and Dr. Blaylocks book and had been reading labels on everything trying to stay away from that terrible substance.
     I work in the ER in my local hospital and I see so many people who are suffering with things the Doctors don't know what to do about.  They just prescribe more drugs but the patients don't get better.  People at work call me the health freak because I shudder every time I see someone with a diet drink and try to convince them to stop and share my horror stories with them.  I wouldn't want anyone to suffer as much as I did during those 17 years. 
    I spoke to a Diabetic  last night who came in complaining of severe chest pain which they told her was GERD and says she is still burning in her chest, and her mouth is so dry she is having trouble swallowing anything.  She was ruled out of having any cardiac problems just the week before.  We set her up to see a Gastroenterologist and I shared with her about my problems with GERD while I was consuming Aspartame.   I haven't been on medication for GERD or had any heart burn since I stopped using Aspartame.  It's been 10 years.  Could her acid reflux be because of her using Equal and drinking diet drinks?  I didn't know whether my problem went away because of me being on Juice Plus or because I stopped my intake of Aspartame or a combination of both.   I am so much healthier now and am so thankful.  I am sad to say though that I have just recently been diagnosed with Glaucoma  and will be on eye medication for the rest of my life.  Could this have come from Aspartame also?  They say my cornea is too thin and my pressure needs to be lower.  No one in my family ever has had Glaucoma.
     My roommate from college just died of a brain tumor and they said she drank diet drinks like they were water.  She was only 53.  Another friend of mine 2 years older has just been diagnosed with a malignant tumor of the brain and is now taking chemo and radiation treatments.  I can't help but think these both are from Aspartame.    I know this has been a long entry but I wanted to know these things. 
I will be looking forward to your reply.   You and those out there like you and Dr. Blaylock are a blessing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  You and the good LORD have saved me.    Sincerely, Myra Wigley

Dr Hull this is just a