Re: Aspartame effects to me?

can anyone help me understand this aspartame poisoning thing..I have been having what i thought was some sort of circulation problem..I am 43 and 103 lbs. and i have been eating sugar free and diet sodas for a cuple of years now. and i will admit that i do take in alot of sweetner packs. (about 20 per day) i have problems with staying cold all the time and my hands and feet  will go numb. I cant get out in the cold much. Because i cant feel them. My dr. called and told me yesterday that the bloodwork i had showed nothing. He said i think you have aspartame poisoning. I am terrified to gain weight so I cant imagine giving up all sugarfree products...I had looked on alot of things i eat and they have aspartame in the ingredients..I dont really understand the danger of it i guess. What can it do if continued..and does it just "dissapear out of your system if discontinued or does it leave problems behind? 
deedee

deedee - you should read Dr. Hull's book Sweet Poison. Her story will explain everything, and you'll feel like she wrote it about you.

Read it and you'll get your answers, I promise you.

wendy wrote:

What scientific research has been done to support the opinion that aspartame is a danger to ones health? Is there scientific proof that it causes all the symptoms claimed here? With so many adverse effects claimed here, it seems easy to find many people with symptoms. I am an aspartame user and would like to see the research. Thanks.

Wendy, no disrespect intended but take your head out of the sand and monitor yourself very carefully.  This stuff is real and apparently not going away anytime soon.  Please do yourself and family a huge favor and just pitch all artificial sweeteners out the door.  As you stated you have been reading all that others are writing, just believe them.  I myself have a hard time believing some of these stories, but then again

PatB - nice to see you on the Forum, and thank you for the nice post!

Wendy, the research says it all. Go to www.healthynewsletter.com and write "aspartame research" in the top search bar. This will take you to the research proving aspartame causes brain disorders, such as dementia and seizures, lymphoma and leukemia. This IS real, and it was proven in research studies in the late 1960s.

PatB is correct when he says that this issue will never go away. The more people who get sick from aspartame and never get well using AMA meds but continue taking those meds with a diet cola - the more children with behavior disorders and phobias caused by aspartame - more people being operated on with HOLES in their brains from aspartame (this was proven in lab rats in the 1970s), well, the bodies are stacking up. One day this will all come down, and sadly, millions of people will have been harmed.

Can you imagine the chaos and the lawsuits when this truth is finally mainstream???  Do you think this is one reason the "powers that be" are trying to keep this quiet?  Yet, they can't resist just one more day of million dollar sales, so it stays on the market.

As PatB also mentioned, "First Do No Harm" - what purpose do any of us have sharing the truth about this toxin other than to help others? Why go to this much trouble to help people learn what may be at the root of their chronic health diseases so that they might get well again? 

What purpose do the marketers and big corps have to keep aspartame on the market?  Money! Addiction! Drug sales to counter the side effects aspartame causes! They make billions off you and others addicted to the diet sweeteners. They make millions of dollars off kids with ADD, ADHD, and autism.  They make nothing off healthy, happy consumers.

Question: Has anyone done a study on Aspartame possiblly causing cataracts in people?

My wife is a diet Pepsi junky at least 3 or more a day and has the start of cataracts, any info would be appreciated.

thanks
Steve

v323681 - Research methanol, and actually, Dr. Woodrow Monte from Arizona State University is where you WILL find the best research on methanol's HARMFUL effects on the body. He recently published this article on methanol, but he has been aware, and publishing for decades, the dangerous effects the methanol in aspartame has on the eyes. Go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1989 … dinalpos=1 <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1989 … dinalpos=1>  and study how the methanol in aspartame WILL damage the eyes.

Hi everyone, I stumbled upon this website after doing a search this morning concerning sinus issues and eye pain.  I saw a post about aspartame poisoning and it brought me here.  I was stunned.  I'm a 41 year old male.  Relatively good shape, ran a half marathon about 6 weeks ago.  Try to eat a decent diet and don't drink all that much.  Couple of beers on Sunday during the football game.  smile   

My one big vice is Coke Zero and Diet Coke before that.  I've been drinking this stuff like it was water since I was a teenager.  In the last couple of years I've had terrible migraines and vision problems.  It started out with dry eyes and in the past couple of years my vision has got worse with a problem with glare and bright lights.  I drink about 6 Coke Zeros a day, minimum.  I never knew that it could cause these problems.  I'm a little angry to tell you the truth.  I can't tell you how many times I've been to the doctors for sinus problems and recently have started taking Topomax for my migraines.   

Today is day one.  I won't drink/eat anything with aspartame in it.  I will start taking a vitamin again and get back to my exercise regiment.  If this truly does cure my problems and gets rid of the headaches and the fuzziness and sinus problems and every other thing I will be ever thankful.  The docs can't find anything wrong with me but I know something is wrong.  Can it be this simple? 

Mike

Mike, I look forward to hearing back from you in about 4 weeks with your confirmation that it was, yes indeedy, the aspartame. Those bright squiggly lines that block your vision are from the methanol in aspartame, and those headaches are from aspartame, too.

Even though our genders are different, if you read my experience in my book, Sweet Poison, you'll swear that you are reading about yourself!

Any time a doc can't figure out the cause of mysterious health symptoms (that have now become epidemic), it is a REACTION to something. And when aspartame is used - THAT'S THE FIRST THING TO DUMP IN THE TRASH!

Good luck with this, and BELIEVE IT!  Aspartame is a true toxin, and it was proven in the laboratories before it came out 30 years ago.

We have been duped - ah, the politics of greed at its finest.

I do too. Mike, you'll discover that it was the aspartame all this time. What's up with these doctors? Are they really getting that dumbed down?? I guess they want your money more than your health.

I use the topic of aspartame as a litmus test if I have to go see a doctor or dentist - I ask them their thoughts about aspartame, and if they say it is safe or if they don't know anything about it, I never go back to that doctor and never recommend him or her.

Last edited by nash (12-06-2009 5:19 pm)

Why do people agonize over the decision to quit using aspartame?? For heaven sakes, its not like crack where you might go into horrible withdrawal complete with vomiting and sweating!  GEEZ!!.  Just stop using it and watch how quickly your symptoms may dissapear. I did it. I never heard of this problem and put splenda in my drinks and coffee constantly. I reached a point where i couldnt stand up  anymore from leg cramps, hip and joint pains in my legs. It only took 8 days, and all of the pain went away. ALL OF IT.  So for me, thats was the problem, it may not be for others, but what can it hurt to just try to stop using it for a few weeks??  If you're really in pain or have some other health issue and you use this poison crap, how could you not at least try to detox and see.  Aren't you worth it??? !!

Great feedback - Steady998 and nash. Why do people agonize over the decision to quit using aspartame??  Good thing to think about, people.

Maybe its because most people automatically freak out thinking sugar is loaded with calories.  Look it up, everyone.  The are only 16 calories in one teaspoon of sugar.  The diet industry has everyone terrified of sugar, I know i was, and that's why i started using Splenda,SweetNLow,Equal all of them.  And even if I do gain a pound or two, its one heck of alot better than the side affects that these sweetners have on people.

I just turned 50 at the end of last year, and have several things against my nervous system. 

In 1995 my children and I ran away from domestic violence.  When we ran away I had been married for 15 years with an incredible and increasing amount of emotional abuse.  My husband was clinically insane.  He was torturing our pets, practicing to kill us.  From 1995 till 2005 my daughters and I were in confidential address programs, hiding from an incredibly genius man who never moved on.  His motivation was to kill us then kill himself.  He is dead now though, and we are free.

Also, in 2001 I had an accident, where I had a concussion and had to relearn everything.  I am an artist and writer, and I've been a musician and an athlete. I was great at since and math . . . Most of these I have gotten back.  I've had to work through each one, but they have returned.  The music I haven't worked at, so I haven't gotten my instruments back.  But, they are a good example of what happened. For example, I played guitar.  When I was able to sit up and hold my guitar, I wanted to do everything backward.  I couldn't remember how to hold the guitar and broke strings trying to tune it.  I remembered the music in my head, but couldn't  play it.  Speech was similar.  I knew what I thought I was saying, but my children couldn't understand me.  I am ambidextrous, yet one hand will be used to doing one part of a thing and the other hand another.  My hands completely switched what they wanted to do.  My youngest daughter stayed home from school sick one day and it took me another whole day to write her a two line note to get her back in school, so she was out two days instead of one. It was the first time I had written after the accident.  Stories I had written, I read as if another person had written them.  Yet, later I COULD remember them as a writer would, after reading them.  Other things too, if exposed to them again, came back.  Still, sometimes some weird word that was appropriate when I was 8 or 10 will come out instead of one that has become more appropriate over time.

There is also some kind of neurological disorder that runs in my family.  I went to a neurologist in 1995.  The doctor told me that it was inherited, and that, if I could get away from all stress, it could go away.  It resembles restless leg syndrome, but the whole body is affected.  It makes us jerk, get a heavy fatigue, etc.  I've chipped bones in my hands while asleep, and had my knees have gone out, waking me suddenly.  My oldest daughter, who has had the reactions the worst, has been diagnosed with mioclonic (sp?) seizures.

I found that during our most trying times my brain met the challenges and worked more than incredibly.  But now, it seems to struggle just to function normally.  I forget things, loose things . . . details get lost.  I had an incredible mind, but now feel inadequate. 

I also struggle with depression. Oh, and communication has become difficult withing the last 6 months.  Explaining things comes out chunky and chaotically. I teach, so this is really bad.

I found a drink that helps a lot, but doesn't work completely.  It is the 5 Hour Energy drink.  I have been trying to research why it helps, and also what else I can do to help my brain.  I know that the drink has phenylalanine in it and vitamins, especially B6 and B12.  6 Hour Power also has these.  The first time I drank this it was an incredible change. I felt like I had gotten my brain back.  It still helps, but not as much as before, or else I am used to the change enough to be aware of what is still missing.

I have never been a conscious user of artificial sweeteners, and actually, when I started researching phenylalanine, I thought the phenylalanine could be what was helping me so much.

Steady998 - I LIKE HOW YOU THINK!!  I AGREE WITH YOU!

Julie,

You are searching for answers, and choosing some good places on the web to find them. Whenever you know of genetic weakness, you can learn how to strengthen those weaknesses using nutrition. Our society has gone down the wrong road concerning genetic weak links - instead of feeling as if you have a death sentence already pronounced, learn how to strengthen those weaknesses, and this can be done.

I suggest avoiding ALL chemicals in your foods, and beware of them knowing that they will weaken your health. I also strongly recommend getting a hair analysis done; instead of trying to untangle this knot with unanswered questions, a hair analysis can provide you with some answers and a road map to where you go from here, how to get back on track, and what specifics you need to address what's happening now, and in the future.

Consider a making a plan to untangle the past, repair the present, and design a future that you can be comfortable with and in total control of.

Hi

Im new to this so hopefully im doing it right.  Im a 29 year old female who was a heavy aspartame drink user up until 5 days ago.  I have been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and my question is there a link between this and aspartame?  also since quitting i have been suffering weird aches, racing heart (also could be the thyroid) and depression.  Are these classic withdrawl symptoms or am i still poisoned i think i feel a little better (day 5) and was wondering how long they last? i dont know for sure if its aspartame but it fits...

i thanks anyone for there suggestions on how to ease this pain.

nzgirl - THIS is what happened to me!  I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease (hyperthyroidism) that was caused by aspartame. Please read my book, Sweet Poison,  about what I did to cure myself.

It takes about 4-6 weeks to get it out of your system, but you must replace the nutrients aspartame robs from the body. And avoid all diet sweeteners like the plague! Go to www.sweetpoison.com and read about this in more detail.

nzgirl wrote:

Hi

Im new to this so hopefully im doing it right.  Im a 29 year old female who was a heavy aspartame drink user up until 5 days ago.  I have been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and my question is there a link between this and aspartame?  also since quitting i have been suffering weird aches, racing heart (also could be the thyroid) and depression.  Are these classic withdrawl symptoms or am i still poisoned i think i feel a little better (day 5) and was wondering how long they last? i dont know for sure if its aspartame but it fits...

i thanks anyone for there suggestions on how to ease this pain.

Hi nzgirl--
I am new to this site as of this morning and I thank God for it---- I am in shock to say the least--- I am 36 and diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am going in tomorrow for an ultrasound as I have a mass on my thyroid. I get "spells" from what has been diagnosed as involuntary or partial simple seizures (seizures without movement). I have many times traced these back to the different artificial sweetner packets to flavor water, splenda or equal, and now I am realizing that sprite zero may be the culprit for my recent activity. I have seen yours and a couple of other posts about thyroid------------ what an awakening. I am seeing my endocrinologist right after my ultrasound tomorrow. I have also been diagnosed with anxiety---- but I do not typically drink diet as of many years, ONLY water, but for social drinking-- I don't want added calories-- so I do the sprite zero or the artificial packets of pomegranate (crystal light). I am very active, run 3-4 times a week 3miles each time. I have two young boys and my husband and I are active--- walking, hiking, etc. I have become foggy and irritable and forgetful----------- now this thyroid and seizure spells---- I am going to talk to my Dr. tomorrow and will definitely DUMP the sprite zero and other artificial packets----- is the stevia ok??? I read it was natural and I use it every morning on my cereal. I also use AGAVE for my kids syrup on their waffles and to make oatmeal sweet--- I believe this is natural too--- please comment if I need to know different---- thank you Dr. Hull for your knowledge--- u are a GODsend--- I believe He led me here---

OMG---- I just had a thought---------------- I chew gum ALL the time------- I mean I would sleep with gum if my husband would let me--- it is ALWAYS sugar free of course---- I chew at least 6-12 pieces daily---------

is there any safe gum out there without SUGAR?

Welcome to the forum and to some answers that you have been looking for. I highly recommend that you read my book, Sweet Poison, because you will feel as if you are reading about yourself! It will really help you understand this whole sweetener thing - the good, bad and the ugly.....

Most of the time, aspartame reactions are not taken seriously by the medical community, and aspartame victims can feel all alone and are made out to be a bit crazy. Health reactions caused by aspartame are typically diagnosed as something else, or the docs think it is all in your head.

WRONG!! This issue is very real and very researched!  Consumers don't hear the truth about aspartame because too much money is at stake and can you imagine the chaos that will occur when the truth finally does come out!?

I recommend a very good stevia product by NuNaturals called NuStevia. It rocks!

Chewing Spry gum is about the only good alternative choice right now. You can get it at the higher end natural markets. Spry has the sugar alcohols in it which can cause some stomach cramping if used too much, but try it and see if you can cut back on the amount of gum you chew, anyway. It is non-toxic, so I recommend it for kids, too.

Thank you so much for the insight--- thought you would like to know that my endocrinologist recommended that I keep away from artificial sweeteners and that he works with diabetics and he recommends that they too should just use natural sugars versus the artificial at lower levels. He, himself said that he stopped using artificial sweeteners and his pain and cramping in his wrists went away. I will get the nu stevia, i have been using the truvia and I found some gum called "GLEE" gum that is all natural as well. I ordered it straight from the Glee Gum site.  So far, I am feeling more energized--- I will keep posting---

Mouth sores, inside of the lip, on the tongue and inside cheeks.  Only have these symptoms when I consume a lot of diet drinks and chew a lot of gum.  Related to aspartame?  I'm beginning to think so.

joyfulinlij - it is so good to know that some of the medical docs are coming into the light. This is a true doctor, and bless him for being a good healer.

Mroczek - anytime artificial sweeteners are used and health symptoms arise such as this, always remove the diet chemicals and more than likely the cause will be determined for you. Never doubt that these toxins create health symptoms that target our weak links. You may have some mouth yeast or a toxin from old fillings that the aspartame and other toxic sweeteners irritate. Consider doing a general detox or a Candida cleanse.

Dear drjshull,
New to this site, my partner is 48 and from the south, loves her sweet tea. When we met she brewed it and used sugar. About a year and a half ago she began to use the Walmart brand of instant tea sweetened with aspartame. She started having a few problems about a year ago and now she is very sick. She literally drinks a gallon of this tea a day. {That was until I read about this Aspartame, I cleaned out the whole house of it including her Alavert the other day.} I went on line and starting with two of her major complaints {severe headaches, double vision} I happened on this site through investigating all causes. I know it's the aspartame but I fear it may be more than just that, I am thinking methanol. At this time we can not order the hair analysis. Severe headaches, sensitive to light, double vision, pain within the eyes, fatigue, diarrhea, weight gain, bloating. When I look at her eyes they do not look the same or normal. I am a worried man and hoping for any information as to what to do in the meantime until we can get the hair analysis done.
Many thanks for you and this site! SHAME ON THE GOVERNMENT!!!
lockpin

I have been suffering from severe noise intolerance for over 2 years.  It started shortly after I turned 40.  I have never had this before, but it just keeps getting worse.  I cannot stand the sound of lawnmowers, power tools, cars passing, and the list just keeps getting longer.  I do drink 1 diet Coke each day and I also use about a teaspoon of Splenda each morning.  If I cut the artificial sweetener from my diet, will I see any changes in my noise tolerances?  I have seen a therapist, an ENT and a family doctor.  None of them have had any real help for me.  Thanks.