Topic: neuropathy

Hello Dr.Janet,

I stumbled across your forum when I was browsing for any toxic information on Splenda.  Actually I have been experiencing pain in my legs for the last 3 years (peripheral neuropathy). I was even prescribed Gabapentin, which did not reduce the pain.

I am 37, a diabetic for about 5 years and have been using Splenda for the last 3 years. My H1bac has always been less than 6.  In the beginning, the pain was tolerable, and I told my doctor if I should get on diabetic pills since I showed neuropathic pain in the foot. Since my H1bac was lesser, he adviced against it and told me to keep food control and exercise. However, inspite of food control and sugar control (H1bac<6), this pain started coming and going and recently it stayed on and became severe. Recently I have also started taking diabetic pills, but the pain did not go down. After the doctors accepted it as peripheral neuropathy and gave Gabapentin (1800mg/day) which did not help, I was so upset that I went against my practices. So I wanted to use sugar instead of Splenda out of frustration thinking that my diabetes was bad anyhow. Next  day I noticed the pain to be manageable.  As I started recovering, my habits also restored and stopped sugar and went back to Splenda to take care of blood sugar. Again the pain became severe. Yesterday I stopped Splenda again and today I feel lesser pain than yesterday.  At this point, I began to suspect Splenda and was looking for information on the web, when I stumbled on your website.

I dont know if it is right to correlate my pain with Splenda, or, was it just a mere coincidence? For the time being, I will be sceptical on Splenda. Pls let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
ramesh

Re: neuropathy

sarkarai - anytime health symptoms appear for the first time or suddenly get worse and the chemical sweeteners are being used, I always say to remove these known toxins and see if your health symptoms lessen or completely disappear. Aspartame and sucralose contain toxic chemicals that have been proven to cause cancer, lymphoma, memory loss, nerve disorders, seizures - well, they are not anything you should eat or drink. They have no use to the body, and they are expensive to boot.

So, if you are struggling with your health and use these products, remove them and avoid them like the plague. They will never help you restore good health - NEVER!  You can return to a healthier lifestyle by avoiding these chemicals.

Around 2007 I began experiencing severe tingling and numbness in my legs and feet when I went to bed at night.  My physician ordered and ultrasound and found nothing, so I've been suffering with it ever since.  Sometimes it was so severe it kept me awake all night. 
About two weeks ago I decided to stop using Splenda (sucralose).  Guess what -- the neuropathy was 80 percent gone the FIRST NIGHT.  I stayed off the Splenda, and each day it got better, then one night it was back.  After thinking about it, I realized I'd been chewing sugar free gum all day. 
I will never touch Splenda or any other artificial sweetener again.

I have the same pain in my feet and as of today I am coming off all artificial sweetners to see how I feel.  I am diabetic and will have to watch my sugar to see if it goes up any as I am having problems controling it.  The most sugar free things I consume are diet drinks.
I am anxious to see how this takes effect on my diabetes.

When you first realize that these diet chemicals are creating new health symptoms of concern, focus on the chemicals they are made of for what they really are. Splenda is made with chlorine and aspartame is made with methanol. Then research the toxicity and side effects of both the chlorine and methanol.

Typically, your health symptoms will match the known side effects of both these toxic chemicals. Actually, the cause and effect connection is as simple as that. Chlorine and methanol were not meant to be used as food, and chlorine and methanol are not sugars.

Teddie, I suggest using the pink packet when eating out, but learn to use pure Stevia as much as you can because Stevia is actually used to treat diabetes in other countries - every country but the good ole' USA.....

Think of Stevia like oregano or basil; it is an herb that is very sweet. You would not overdo using any seasoning herb, so don't overdo Stevia. A tiny pinch works. Try to avoid pre-packaged foods and drinks using the chemical sweeteners, and learn how to eat raw sugars in foods. If you want an occasional soda, simply choose a high quality soda made with pure cane sugar. Enjoy the foods and drinks you select - diabetes isn't a life curse; it simply means you have to be more careful with the foods you consume, especially being more careful with pre-packaged, man-made, chemically laden foods.