Topic: Cooking Down Maltodextrin

Excerpt: In my business of sweetener safety, maltodextrin is a word that comes up a lot. It is found everywhere, and to be perfectly honest, it is commonly found in all forms of sweeteners; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Maltodextrin is considered a mildly sweet polysaccharide, or a sweet... Continue Reading Cooking Down Maltodextrin from Dr. Hull's free monthly ezine, The Healthy Newsletter.

Re: Cooking Down Maltodextrin

I read this article, and noticed in the article it states that MSG is more of a concern then maltodextrin, however, this website: http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm,  claims that factory created Maltodextrin contains MSG (in varying amounts). A lot of websites that discuss "Hidden Names for MSG" list maltodextrin as creating MSG in the processing. So does maltodextrin contain free glutamate or not?

Maltodextrin can be made in any lab, so this does not necessarily mean all forms of maltodextrin, as I understand it.

Plus, it has different sources, so some must be more natural and not as bad as other forms. Kind of like Stevia. Now that Coke has bought the rights to Stevia, they are changing it up and adding a bunch of junk to it, so it is different from the real and natural Stevia.

Vnash, nash is right; consider the source of the maltodextrin and the MSG. Like with the diet sweeteners, something that once was natural can be reworked in the lab and recreated from cheaper ingredients or completely re-fabricated ingredients sourced to petroleum and toxic chemicals, food coloring, pretty packaging, and then sold as "natural" - this is what is happening too much in today's manufacturing,and we are getting junk sold to us as food.

So, MSG is unhealthy any way you slice it, and maltodextrin is going to be found in sugars, sugar substitutes, and sugary products no matter what. The source of the maltodextrin is important, the amount used, and the product quality itself is important to consider when purchasing a product with maltodextrin in it.

People get their knickers in a twist about maltodextrin sometimes unnecessarily. Again, it is going to be found in sugar and sugar products, but the source, the process it was created from, and the product itself can determine whether it is a junk form or better form of malto.

MSG is nasty 100% of the time! If the two are ever together, don't buy that product.

I've discovered I have a problem with some processed foods, notably those that are concentrated before being added.

For example: I can have corn once in a while but corn syrup causes mood changes (I get really bitchy and miserable) and maltodextrin causes pain (a Rheumatoid Arthritis flare within an hour).  I've also had a strong reaction to a vegan protein supplement (concentrated pea protein). 

I doubt I am alone in these sorts of reactions, although many people may not be aware of the causes of their discomfort, (as I have been unaware for so many years).

I agree that an additive like maltodextrin may not, of itself, be TOXIC but I don't think so much processing of our food is acceptable to our bodies.  Our bodies were not designed to deal with these concentrates.

Thank you Dr. Hull for your timely advice.

seamaton, you are on to something here and you are correct. Many times the issue is not the item itself, but how it is processed and how much we use it, or how many things it is in so we are exposed to too much of it daily.

Corn syrup might be OK on pancakes every now and again (I prefer real tree syrup), but it is put into everything from colas to gum to dry cereals - even medications. It has been overkill, and it is not only making people gain weight, but it is now altering blood sugar levels and the immune system because consumers get way too much of it daily.

Te key is to eat and drink as naturally as possible every day at every meal or snack - cheating every now and then is normal (donuts or a burger, fries and malt), but eating manufactured foods in large quantities every day is unhealthy. The thing to note, too, is how kids are being raised on these fake foods from very young ages. They then have a lifetime of illnesses, allergies, colds, skin issues, hormone problems, hair loss, weight issues....well, just look around.

Dear Dr. Hull and Everybody!

I am new to this forum.

I am 30 yr old male (5'9" height, 142 lbs. weight). My aim is to increase lean body mass and decrease the belly fat (yes... I do have some in there!).

I was reading at several places that a good post-workout shake should have whey protein, Dextrose, and Maltodextrin mixed together with water (to get the insulin spike which will facilitate the replenishment of the muscles after strength training).

My question is: Will it be safe to mix, e.g., 30g whey protein isolate, 15g Dextrose, 15g Maltodextrin together and have it as a post-workout shake? Apart from this particular time... I safely avoid any consumpsion of sugar other than WHOLE fruits and stuff... NO soda, NO juice, NO candies for me!

Please advice~!

Thanks in advance~!
Devdeep.

No, I would have a shake or protein snack that had only natural, unprocessed sugars in it. The whey protein is great; simply search for a natural protein source or a whey product with stevia or succanat, unprocessed agave, etc.

Don't try to adjust your glycogen system with anything man-made; to stay in perfect health, go all natural at all times, especially right after you have been working out.

Dear Dr. Hull,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your reply and the words of caution~!

I will definitely NOT mix Matodextrin in the shake... I just wanted to ask one quick question: The whey protein isolate (WPI) I use has pure WPI with stevia extract... I generally just mix it with water... now how can I increase the "simple" carb in that shake? The amount of Stevia in the WPI is pretty low!

People in favor of Dextrose argue that dextrose should be preferred 'coz it is a mono-saccharide (and cane sugar is a di-saccharide, which has to be broken down to glucose (thus dextrose) before use) ... so what can I replace the Dextrose with? Should I add Cane Sugar? Or are you suggesting not to put any sugar in any form?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Devdeep.

The simple carbs are what you want to avoid, and add the complex carbs. Dr. Hull wrote about the differences in carbs in her Splenda: Is It Safe Or Not? book. That's where I learned the difference, and the white sugar and manufactured sugars are refined and those are simple carbs. The carbs in whole foods and natural sugars are the complex carbs, and they are healthy.

Dr. Hull wrote that the body actually burns energy digesting the complex carbs. You should read her book - it's good and taught me so much about sugars and foods with sugars, which foods to avoid and which ones are OK.

That's exactly right, nash, almost to the letter! I wrote about this in detail in Splenda: Is It Safe or Not? This is an important issue to learn about because the right kind of carbs are very important in the diet, especially for diabetics.

I am sensitive to certain amounts of MSG. I'm not really sure what that amount is or how to find that out. I know that I get seriously ill after eating at a Chinese Buffet. I recently learned all of the sneaky ways food companies put MSG in our food without calling it that. One of these is Maltodextrin. I'm finding it's in everything, including my favorite potato chips. Could maltodextrin affect my MSG sensitivity? Or is it too insignificant to worry about?

Well, several points can be made here - maltodextrin is found in almost everything, so you're getting it from a lot of things daily. If you are super sensitive, it can be affecting you. It's hard to avoid, but if you eat mostly fresh foods, then this will help. Avoid the pre-packaged foods the best that you can, and then select using the products, even vitamins, that have it in them.

The main thing is to avoid the MSG.