Topic: Long Term Splenda User Symptoms

Recently studies in rats have shown Splenda causes a disturbance in intestinal flora. The way I understand this is: Our bodies can't process all of Splenda's ingredients  in the stomach so "bad bacteria" has to come about the eat the Splenda not processed. In my case, I was using so much Splenda that the "bad bacteria" took over and started eating at my intestines too. I have developed a disease that comes about in your 20's (but I'm 47) called Ulcerative Colitis. That means I have intestinal bleeding, stomach issues and bowel issues. Sometimes I hemorrhage for weeks and become anemic. I have all the symptoms that go with anemia on top of being very sick. I can not work. I take $60,000 a year in drugs that make little difference.
I continued using Splenda because my doctor said it had nothing to do with my issues. In August I was feeling the best I had in 2 years. I came home from vacation and started drinking a gallon of tea a day (to lose weight gained from Prednizone) that I mix with about a cup of Splenda, and the bleeding came back.
I am now getting educated, taking Probiotics and eating the SCD diet (from: Breaking The Vicious Cycle). After 2 weeks of making my own yogurt and eating unprocessed foods, I'm starting to see an improvement. They say I'll be on drugs forever though.
Does anyone else have long term symptoms or problems?

Last edited by terriandkurt (09-30-2008 11:34 am)

Re: Long Term Splenda User Symptoms

The chlorine in Splenda will literally destroy all good bacteria in the your gut, while increasing acidity which stimulates the growth of harmful bacteria and yeast.

So, there you have it.

Have you ever tried to wash a greasy dish with cold water and no soap??  Well, any unnatural chemical that sits inside your body cannot be cleansed out of you very easily, just like that dirty dish in your sink. Over time, chemicals deplete all the healthy nutrients trying to scrub them away, but if you are eating a diet of mostly chemicals as opposed to healthy whole foods, well - your dishes are pretty gross by now, full of microbes and nasty toxins - and so is the inside of your body!!

All this is in my book Splenda: Is It Safe Or Not?  We are putting the book back up on clickbank now, so you will be able to access and download the entire published book again - that's more convenient than ordering it through the mail for some of you.

Is there any research that indicates that splenda is safe when used moderately or say in amounts less than a certain amount per week or month --whatever?

Our family uses Stevia. Is there any side effects to that?

We have the plant and use it instead of chewing gum sometimes. From what I've read it is actully good for teeth. (Unlike fluoride!!!)

Fluoride is not good for your teeth?

Getti,

I don't believe Stevia has any known side effects, I could be wrong. The challenge with Stevia is the dosage amount. There is only a little bit required to make things sweet, most people use a lot which will tastes kind of bitter.

Andy

Dr. Hull,,,,would two cups of tea per day sweetend w/ moderate amount of Splenda be considered to risky ?

Yes!   Try agave nectar instead.

That's right, Splenda is in fact un-natural as it is synthesized with the molecule and end chain group being altered and added, and yes--like other 'whites' such as flour & sugar, it contains bleach/chlorine, a poisonous toxin that should NOt be addded to the body (and should be lobbied to be removed from the food supply).  Yes, fluoride isi poison, a brain 'dumbing' agent, and there are several books on that which you may preview at Amazon.com -- just like there are books on the dangers and real truths of Splenda, Aspartame, etc. sweeteners, food additives, preservatives, colorings, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), bleached and other processed foods, and even excito-toxins such as MSG and other 'food-addicting' agents -- just pick your poison, type it in and watch 3 to 6 or more books pop up on the side-scrolling screen... warning:  you may be there for hours because Amazon does a terrific job of linking your search ot others' similar searches, and be prepared to breath deep, meditate, or use other relaxation techniques --because you will be alarmed if not outraged at the information that that is actually well-supported by fact, truth, studies, & scientific evidence, and the outstanding numbers of doctors (MDs, DOs, NDs, PhDs, etc.) & scientists from around the world and in the USA that have written and been cited in a plethora of books out there.  The good news is:  you will learn alot more than you know now, and you will absolutely be compelled to change the way you eat and shop for your family, and to tell everyone you know --including your lawmakers --whom we must lobby-- and the corporations --which we must fight-- OR- nothing is going to change.  Heck, the FDA needs to wake up and approve all-natural mineral-full healthy Stevia as a viable food additive/sweetener for the US's food supply...  it got disapproved by our 'bought & paid for' FDA this past year!  $$$ & influence from the Big Pharma, Big Agra, etc. has got a choke hold on our very own FDA & USDA ('cuz the mucky-mucks get kickbacks, incentives, & 6-figure jobs after they leave these govt agencies)...  and what gets me is:  I can't get a single mainstream news media source --nor most seemingly independent news agency-- to cover any of these well-understood & well-documented stories  --such as Pepsii winning the lobby to get Congress to continue subsidizing corn farmers -despite profits being way up, thanx to ethanol now- so that Pepsi et al poison beverage makers can continue buying more corn syrup & HFCS (from ADM, Con Agra, etc.) at 30% less than the cost of cane sugar (A TRULY UNFAIR BUSINESS TRADE PRACTICE) and we buy this crap, end up with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, poor connective tissue (cartilage, tendons, ligaments), more fat kids, screwed up pancreas & insulin systems, high lipids, obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes --a virtual recipe for premature death syndrome (PDS), and then after we tax-payers subsidize corn syrup/HFCS, then we gotta further subsidize our bankrupt medical care system thru higher premiums, deductibles, & co-pays PLUS more $$$ into the bottomless pits of Medicare & Medicaid!  (Same thing with fast/junk/snack food companies.)  Why?  Oh yeah, it's the same parent corporations and/or stock-holders that have a stranglehold over the food & drug companies!  Duh!!  My bad...  Plus, disease, chronic illness, and treating your symptoms forever pays profits a lot better than telling you the truth, doing the studies, and treating the actual underlying causes --a novel idea for most of western medicine!!  I'd like someone to start a national dialogue on all of this stuff which is all tied together--and hopefully they won't get assassinated for it-- perhaps Oprah, Obama, Hilary, or one of our other great untouchables or 'ambassadors' (e.g., Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Bono, or ?? whom ever you can think of to forward this message to....   it's up to us the people, or it will never change.   'Cuz I still cannot find a big law firm to even consider a class action suit because in my mind (an many others'), all of these poisonous, deleterious, toxic food items & additives (above) should be and could be easily regarded as the next 'asbestos', 'vioxx,' and/or 'tobacco/cigarette' litigation-gate.

WillTrekkie, how can we argue with anything you have said, and how can we argue with such a cool forum name??  Right on.

It is time for some changes, there is no doubt, and that's the key - may those changes be allowed to take place! The old way of marketing food products filled with so many fillers they have become a toxic-chemically-morphed-faux-food must end. Changes are coming - they must. We have to pray that they are for the greater good - otherwise, we will simply accelerate human ignorance, greed and illness.

I don't mean to be so negative, but changes must shift the destructive direction human consumers are heading.

Dear Dr Hull,

Question from a newbie. Why would the Government of USA allow sucralose in products such as Pedialyte, which may or may not be harmful to children, the future of our proud country?
I do not know what to believe anymore about a lot of things. I just find you and your websites to be believable and I trust you to help clear things up a little.

Regards,

TV

Dr. Hull,

I feel like the last person on the planet to find out what was wrong with me. I am a very healthy (WAS healthy) 52 year old woman. I had been using Splenda occasionally for the last few years. It was just the occasional diet coke, Crystal Lite, and more recently Vita Rain. I never had more than one drink a day, and wasn't drinking it every day.

Then 7 wks ago I decided to go back on Atkins, which I have done from time to time over the last ten years or so.  The only difference in the way I went about my diet this time was to add Splenda and other sucralose laced products. Not only did I not lose weight as fast as I did every other time, I began what is now my health nightmare. First I started having joint pain in my left hip. It sort of came and went at first, then one day I tried to rise out of a chair at work and almost fell. It seemed like my hip just went out on me. I was drinking a Vita Rain at the time. Two days later it happened again. I remember I was in a restaurant and was drinking a glass of ice tea sweetened with splenda.

I continued to get worse and worse, and now my knee on the same leg started doing the same thing. I'm a substitute teacher, and started turning down jobs, knowing I couldn't walk well enough. By the week before Christmas I went to the doctor. By now I had also developed what seemed to be hives on my scalp. It became infected. The doctor told me I had bursitis and an unrelated scalp infection. She put me on antibiotics for the infection and gave me a cortisone shot for the "bursitis". I felt better for almost a week, and the scalp cleared up. But now it was Christmas week, and feeling left out of all the good desserts and candy, I increased the splenda by adding SF Torani's syrups to my coffee, Atkins shakes, and began baking special desserts and biscuits using Splenda and Carbquik, which also contains sucralose. By now I was in so much pain I couldn't sleep at night. If I got up to go to the bathroom, I couldn't put my weight on my left leg. It hurt horribly and felt like jello. My husband got used to hearing me say "ow, ow, ow, ow" when I tried to roll over in bed. Never once did I make the association of my symptoms and Splenda.

Now walking with a cane, hobbled and weak like an old woman, I began taking a Glucosomine/Chondroitin/MSM mixture that is sold at Costco. Maddeningly, it was sweetened with sucralose. I continued to get worse. Finally last Thursday, the 9th of January, I woke up and decided to do more research. Wracked with pain, I hobbled with my cane into the kitchen, where I poured a cup of coffee with splenda, and took the daily dosage of the Glucosomine mixture. I made my way to my laptop, where I googled "joint pain glucosomine" in order to see if this was going to help me. I read from blog to blog, people telling what helped their joint pain, and realized after about an hour that the theme that was popping up over and over was that the main thing that helped them get over their joint pain was deciding to quit drinking diet soda. So I googled "artificial sweeteners joint pain". WOW, that was one of those horrifying moments of truth where your heart races and you feel light headed with a discovery of something so awful. I went to your site ( I am going to order your book) and went from blog to blog reading people's stories that were so much like mine. But they were from YEARS ago, why hadn't anyone spread the word? Why was I suffering like this if our government is looking out for us with the FDA?

Crying, feeling like I was dying, I woke up my 20 year old son, who was home from college on semester break for the holidays.  He was stunned too, and gathered up everything with splenda in it and poured it down the sink. When we checked my glucosomine mix I started crying again, feeling even more helpless/betrayed. My son began googling Splenda, beginning at the site for the company. He told me he had to play devil's advocate, it was his nature. After going from site to site, reading chemist's reports, etc, he turned around and said to me, "You might as well have been drinking rat poison. And the FDA doesn't seem to care."

I began trying to flush my system, although so many of the reports I've read sound dismal about my chances of really getting it all out. I am going to try Vitamin C, since it dechlorinates. I am still very crippled, but my other symptoms are going. I hadn't made the association of the racing heart, depression, itching, scalp rash, bloated abdomen,  swollen ankles, mental fog,and stiffness all over.

I want to add that in the nearly two months of my dieting, I only lost 18 pounds, not nearly what it always was when I did the Atkins diet in the past. And NEVER did my abdomen bloat on Atkins before.  I know I can't turn the clock back, can't undo the damage, can't make it go way, but WHY did I have to go through this when the FDA knows, Johnson & Johnson knows, thousands of other poisoned consumers know? Why didn't my doctor even know, even when I asked if my symptoms could both be related to my dieting? Why am I reading blogs from several years ago, sitting here all crippled up, in 2009? I am angry, I feel betrayed,and I am going to do something about it.

Thank you for your work and effort to help us all. I hope I can recover, and that nobody else has to go through what I just have.

-Susan Martin

Hello,
File this one under weird side effects....
Sucralose gave me a horrible unstoppable running nose every time I woke up (in the morning or in the middle of the night). Usually it would last for an hour or so. The condition went away completely quickly after removing sucralose from my diet.

My symptoms began about six months ago.  Well, I guess really before that.  I had been experiencing symptoms like shakiness, chills, etc.  Didn't really think much about it, as they only happened every once in a while.  Then, while shampooing, I was shocked to see that my hands were covered with hair.  This caused me anxiety, but not to the extent that would be expected.  It was like a faucet that I could not turn off, no matter what I tried.  Shaking, not sleeping well, loss  of appetite, tingling in legs and hands.  For six months now, I have had the following symptoms.

Vicki,

In one word, "Greed". The sugar industry and the artificial sweetener industry have persuaded the FDA to pass an unsafe and under-tested poisonous product at the expense of all of us who had our heads in the sand and thought we could trust the powers that be. It's wrong, it's unbelievably immoral and unethical, and it's tantamount to torturing a huge percentage of the population while reaping the monetary benefits.

I am not back ( healthwise) 100% yet either, and it's been almost three weeks since I last ingested Splenda. I stopped having most of my symptoms within the first day or two of last having it in my body, but apparently the soft tissue damage in my left hip and knee were too severe to just heal right away. I'm walking with a cane ( actually stopped that and then not realizing how sensitive the tissue still was I overdid it too soon and went back to having to use it as my left leg can't support me now.

I know your frustration, believe me. I can't work, can barely navigate my house, and feel like I went from a healthy strong and very independent woman to an old crippled woman in less than two months. It's maddening, and horrifying that nobody (nobody that counts) is doing a damn thing about it. But know you're not alone, and spread the word!!!!

Susan

I just read Lucy's article about Splenda and I have been using Splenda for 2 years since I had the exact same problems with aspartame...I thought I was doing myself well...but obviously not, it's just a matter of time.  Aspartame with Diet Coke was what I was forced to drink in Canada on vacations because diet coke with Splenda was not available..that's when i knew my huge ovarian cysts that BURST..were caused by aspartame...every summer I would leave the lake in Canada and after packing heavy items on top of the van would experience excruciating pain and then swelling in my abdomen...i thought it was gall bladder attacks...until the last one that left me writhing in pain in a hospital bed and a stomache that was  exploding like when I was 9 months pregrnant...A huge ovarian cyst had ruptured...I stopped the use of aspartame altogether and all cysts disappeared...until recently, I know some small little guys have been growing and I have only been using splenda...now I guess I have to cut that out...diet coke is my only vice...I cannot use sugar...I don't know what to do...

Last edited by Lauren (02-19-2009 10:41 am)

I guess big business will not only wreck our economy and take our retirements, but they can also kill us at their leisure, as well.  And by "big business", I mean educated Americans who do not live by ethics, morals, or their conscience.  It is not "they" or "them", it is the jerk next door to you who looks nice and normal with a family, a car, and a mortgage and goes to his job every day and makes decisions that steadily, incrementally, and surely destroy our way of life with every punch of his time card......

I just got "hit" by Splenda, friends.  I dropped it about ten years ago when something similar happened but I had forgotten.  I switched to a zero soda product two weeks ago to lose some weight and cut down on my sugar intake.  What I got for my efforts, instead were:

Itching, bleeding scalp, with and without eczema.
A terrible itchy spot on the front left shin.
Swelling in my abdomen and pain in the bladder and to the left of the bladder.  The swelling was so severe, I drew stares yesterday.
Weight gain.
Pain in my upper back, liver area.
A runny nose every morning or after a drink.
Chronic headaches for the first five days, then just flashes of pain on any side of the head or temple.
Diarrhea (mild to moderate)

I stopped the zero stuff today, knowing whatever was going wrong was accelerating after my abdomen was the size of a basketball yesterday and the pain in my bladder has stopped.  I switched back to sugar soda, btw.  So it wasn't an infection that any soda could exacerbate, it was something in the diet soda.  I was shopping life insurance before the switch and my blood work was excellent.  I work out, lift weights, martial arts, etc. and take fish oil, health food supplements like greens, coral calcium, etc. and my blood pressure, cholesterol, and lipid counts reflect a very healthy person, despite my soda addiction.  It took less than ten days to realize I was seriously ill after the switch and tonight I even considered ER before I logged on to see if Splenda was cleared as a cause or not.  How wonderful....the same problems noted ten years ago for this product and it is still in our food supply and moving into more with each week.  Glad to see that greed still drives immoral choices for us every day, by the "best and brightest in our country".

What I don't understand is how this junk has been allowed to remain in our food supply for so long and it's just getting worse. It is killing people and making babies sick - that really chaps me. Don't people care?

At the very least, why can't they let the public know the truth about these dangers, and then let us decide for ourselves. Some people choose to still smoke, but at least they know the risks and know what to look for so they can then decide it's time to quit.

When will this corruption really end? It has to one day - maybe someone in a position of power will get sick from this or their kid will get sick, and then maybe they'll do something about it.

I am blown away by the number of people who have been sickened by Splenda as I have just discovered myself what the root cause of many of my medical problems. I had used splenda for years in my cold drinks but never in my coffee - I did not like the way it 'foamed up'. I finally decided last year that I needed to cut my sugar consumption and started using Splenda in my coffee too. Within a couple months I was suffering from extreme fatigue. I have been a chronic pain patient for years due to back problems so I have never associated my pain with anything but my back. August 31 2008 I was taken to the hospital with severe abdominal pain - thinking it was my appendix or gall bladder a ct scan was done. It showed multiple cystic leisons and a large tumor thought to be cancerous (turns out it was not). In my quest to determine if my tumor was cancerous or not I had my body 'read' by a healer and was told my liver was not functioning properly - I still had not made the connection. After being cleared of cancer via PET scan and adding a lot of fresh lemon juice to my cold drinks I was still having problems. (the healer said she thought my liver was 'clogged'). I started looking at my diet, dyes in foods etc. I never checked splenda till recently since they advertise it is 'natural' 'made from sugar' so why would I think this would be the problem. Well needless to say I started an experiment and stopped the splenda completely a week ago. Within 3 days I noticed a difference in my fatigue and my urine is not AS cloudy. While I still have a host of other medical problems and will have to keep having my liver checked I feel so much better. The brain fog has left, I am able to get some things done......I certainly hope that the FDA starts to take this seriously, I am reporting my symptoms tomorrow to the FDA. They are advertising the Splenda so heavily lately, encouraging use in everything from baked goods to drinks, and not the addition of fiber........I think the folks here are just the tip of the iceberg of what we will see as the use increases. God help those who start using it and god help the children that are not yet developed who start ingesting this POISON. See what they don't tell you anywhere on packaging or the website is that it is processed with CHLORINE and is a chemically modified.

I am mortified that I had been poisoning myself but am glad that like the other here I have finally found out what is wrong. I just hope I have not permanently damaged my liver.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments. Best of luck to you and everyone else!

- Andy

I am a video producer for Diet.com - I didn't know any of this regarding Splenda until my own sister suffered migraines that cost her thousands of dollars in medical bills to figure out what was wrong with her.  I'm doing a documentary video on Splenda for our YouTube channel which has over 24 thousand subscribers - http://youtube.com/diethealth - and I am looking for people in Boston who have posted their stories on this board to see if they would be interested in sharing their stories to help someone else out there who hasn't discovered the cause of their problems.  Please email me at Bostonfit @ gmail dot com - i wrote it like that to reduce spam.

Today is Saturday, June 13, 2009 and it is 4:35 am and I haven't been to bed yet.  I have been captivated by all the information I've been finding online that I can't seem to stop and go to bed.

I would like to start out by saying that I am a 45, almost 46 year old woman who is a prisoner in her body and in her home.  I've never married and have no children.  I do have a kitty though that was born in my home, was given to a so called "friend", and then years later rescued from him. (that's a whole other story)

I have been consuming moderate amounts of aspartame and splenda for years because my family is always complaining about my weight and their own weight as well.  My entire family is fat in one degree to another.  A few of them obese, myself included.  I have the following symptoms:

Mental symptoms: (diagnosed by a doctor/counselor)
-Anti-social Personality Disorder
-dysthymia
-active disorder (no one knows what this is but it was in my file)
-anger control problem
-bipolar depressive disorder (diagnosed 1981)
-chronic depressive disorder (diagnosed 1997 or '98)
-Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (fancy words for Severe Anxiety Disorder)
-and 2 others a mile long each that I can't spell let alone pronounce

Physical symptoms: (diagnosed by a doctor)
-malfunctioning petuitary gland (hope I spelled that right)
-chronic itchy rash all over scalp, eyebrows, nose area, and chin with white flakes, was told it was seboria (acne of the scalp) but when I shaved all my hair off and showed my head to the doctor, she agreed it wasn't seboria but a possible fungal infection.  The medicine didn't help.
-near sighted in both eyes with stigmatism in the right one
-sinusitis
-poor teeth (over 16 cavities and no way to get them fixed due to anxiety, 4 that I can see are quite deep and 1 with an exposed nerve.)
-TMJ
-Diabetes Type II (testing between 200+ - 400+ at home, in hospital after appendix was removed 70+ - 115+)
-memory problems
-High normal blood pressure (ie: 148/88)
-High Cholesterol (^L??, v H??)
-Esophigeal damage, swollen, and irritated with occassional difficulty swollowing, supposedly due to my Acid Reflux (GURD)
-swollen, irritated, acidic stomache, which is prone to getting ulcers, sometimes have mild nausea
-swollen, irritated small intestines that's prone to ulcers near the stomache valve
-NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, also known as Fatty Liver Disorder)
-IBS (irritable bowel syndrom)
-Gastritis
-spastic colon (rarely acts up)
-polycystic ovarian syndrom (multiple cysts on my ovaries)
-rheumitoid arthritis in both hands
-dish arthritis throughout my body (in every possible joint, bone spurs, bone bridges)
-calcium deposits in join areas (below knee caps, back of both heels)
-general tremors (mild to moderate shaking all over, not seizures)
-pre-menopausal (chills, hot flashes, mood swings, irritability, etc.)
-PMS
-severe joint pain
-sensitive to most medications, allergic to others
-abdominal pain when eating or drinking, then pains here and there throughout abdominal area
-minor anal bleeding
-went from diarrhea to constipation that I can not seem to fix
-posturing of index finger and middle finger on occassion in right hand.  I was told it may be caused by the calcium deposit just below the wrist but I don't believe that.
-falling asleep whether I want to or not after eating, then waking up groggy and disoriented for a few moments.
-dry eyes on occassion, itch a little or burn, unable to use eye drops because it makes it worse
-swelling of legs, ankles, and feet with pain and pin prick stabbing sensations in the evenings
-pale complextion
-dark circles around the eyes
-nocternal incontinance (this is extremely embarrassing)
-muscle spasms and/or painful cramping (mostly legs, back, and neck/shoulder areas.  Muscle relaxants only make them worse.  I just wait them out until they stop.)

If any or all of these are due to aspartame or any other chemicals in my food or drink, please let me know.  Some I realize may just be bad genes from the family gene pool, I know.  It never hurts to ask though, right?

Well, I MUST get some sleep before my Care Provider shows up at 8am.  It's now 5:30am.

Goodnight!

MelissaS1

I just went through 2 1/2 years of progressive 'Sucralose' poisoning. I had many symtoms, including; severe headaches, severe abdominal pain, joint pain, short term memory loss, confusion, wobbly legs (I even tripped and fell a few times), depersonalization, anger; which turned to rage, etc. Also, I spent most days on my bed for about a year just trying to cope with the physical, mental and emotional anguish.
The doctors had been misdiagnosing me, all this time; CAT scans, MRI's, Ultrasounds and all they could do was guess IBS, spastic bowel and a host of other (syndromes)! A couple of weeks ago, I was at the end of my rope and so desperate, that I sat down for ten minutes and figured it out. I recalled a few separate times during this ordeal, that I felt better. From there, it was just a matter of finding the commen denominator. Well; as it turns out, I had been taking "Coated" acetaminophen in increasing quantity as my pain drug was losing it's potency. I checked the label and sure enough - "Sucralose"!!! I normally read every label very carefully. I immediately threw the bottle in the garbage and within two days, all of the symptoms from 'Sucralose Poisoning' had disappeared. Now, I understand that these "Corporations" (speaking of which - go on UTUBE and find a documentary named "The Corporation" - it should amaze and disgust a lot of people). For example: the law states that a "Corporation" must put it's financial interests above all others - including people. That's an actual law!
Anyway, I live in Canada. I've taken some pages I printed off the web to try to educate the Pharmacists at our local Safeway and they just laugh at me. I get comments such as; "you can't believe everything you read" and "its approved by the FDA". How can university graduates (especially those in medicine) be so naiive, apathetic and oblivious?
I was around when 'Saccharin' was proven to cause cancer in lab animals and was removed from the shelves - and it's still on the shelves. There's no doubt in my mind that within ten years, you'll be hard pressed to find ANY packaged product that doesn't contain toxins (exitotoxins)! I would love to know how to start a Class action suit against Johnson&Johnson (makers of Splenda)! I was in sheer agony for two and a half years. Someone should be made to pay for my suffering.

whatswrongwithmyliver wrote:

I am blown away by the number of people who have been sickened by Splenda as I have just discovered myself what the root cause of many of my medical problems. I had used splenda for years in my cold drinks but never in my coffee - I did not like the way it 'foamed up'. I finally decided last year that I needed to cut my sugar consumption and started using Splenda in my coffee too. Within a couple months I was suffering from extreme fatigue. I have been a chronic pain patient for years due to back problems so I have never associated my pain with anything but my back. August 31 2008 I was taken to the hospital with severe abdominal pain - thinking it was my appendix or gall bladder a ct scan was done. It showed multiple cystic leisons and a large tumor thought to be cancerous (turns out it was not). In my quest to determine if my tumor was cancerous or not I had my body 'read' by a healer and was told my liver was not functioning properly - I still had not made the connection. After being cleared of cancer via PET scan and adding a lot of fresh lemon juice to my cold drinks I was still having problems. (the healer said she thought my liver was 'clogged'). I started looking at my diet, dyes in foods etc. I never checked splenda till recently since they advertise it is 'natural' 'made from sugar' so why would I think this would be the problem. Well needless to say I started an experiment and stopped the splenda completely a week ago. Within 3 days I noticed a difference in my fatigue and my urine is not AS cloudy. While I still have a host of other medical problems and will have to keep having my liver checked I feel so much better. The brain fog has left, I am able to get some things done......I certainly hope that the FDA starts to take this seriously, I am reporting my symptoms tomorrow to the FDA. They are advertising the Splenda so heavily lately, encouraging use in everything from baked goods to drinks, and not the addition of fiber........I think the folks here are just the tip of the iceberg of what we will see as the use increases. God help those who start using it and god help the children that are not yet developed who start ingesting this POISON. See what they don't tell you anywhere on packaging or the website is that it is processed with CHLORINE and is a chemically modified.

I am mortified that I had been poisoning myself but am glad that like the other here I have finally found out what is wrong. I just hope I have not permanently damaged my liver.

You're absoulutely correct. It is just the tip of the iceburg! These Corporations are in business, solely for profit and the psychopaths don't care how many of us get sick or even die - as long as the bottom line is there. For those who don't know; these food additives are not made in food companies - they're made in chemical companies. Sucralose came about when the scientists were trying to make an insecticide and instead, came up with "Sucralose"! Now, that should definately raise a red flag.

Time for some serious social changes, YOU THINK???

This type of collective-information-sharing is the way to keep the truth out there. Communication, research, sharing case histories, and NOT falling into marketing hype or denial from uninformed medical representatives is critical.

Whenever aspartame is used and health symptoms appear - ALWAYS remove the aspartame, then detox, while you restore healthy foods and supplements to your diet, and if within 6-weeks, your health concerns have not disappeared, then you have an issue you can take to your doctor.