Topic: Splenda

If I only use Splenda in my coffee, maybe 2-3 cups a day and one packet each, is that enough to cause any problem?  If so, how can I sweeten my coffee without gaining weight with sugar?  Thanks
Dorothy

Re: Splenda

Hey Dorothy,

I use a little bit of cream in my coffee with no sugar. I use to put just raw sugar or turbinado.

- Andy

I agree with asmith. Add nothing but the real thing. Now, if you are diabetic, using stevia or saccharin for extra sweetness is my recommendation. Pure agave nectar is getting rave reviews, too. But, try adding milk, cream or half&half, which is what I do. A good point to make here, dglocke, is stop denying yourself SOME simple pleasures. Moderation is a key. Enjoy one or two cups of coffee each morning and really enjoy it - use natural sugar or organic dairy and really REALLY enjoy the experience of that cup of coffee. The problem comes when you drink chemicals all day long or instead of a meal, or when you zip through a drive-through coffee place that puts so many chemicals and do-dahs in the coffee you might as well eat a half a cake!

To specifically answer your question: no Splenda. No Equal. No chemicals. Never, ever at all, no, nada, nein, het, nao, nope.

Moderation is the key. Enjoy life's experiences. Go natural. Go simple. Stop worrying so much if you eat and drink only natural products.

Hi. I've had symptoms the past week that I have never experienced before and the only thing that I can think of that might have caused it is the fact that I , 1 or 2 days before that, quit taking in Splenda, which I had used liberally for quite awhile up to that point.  I thought, no calories! I can have as much sweet as I want! and I used it a LOT. Ummmm....anyway, I have had real problems with lightheadedness. brain fog, headache,  and symptoms of hypoglycemia. The only thing I can attribute it to is the cessation from Splenda. Will I recover eventually or have I really messed myself up with this stuff? I've also been very thirsty and craving sweet pop in enormous quantities.

Last edited by Sherrie65 (10-05-2007 4:22 pm)

My daughter is having extreme symptoms that I blieve are related to Splenda.  She has been drinking Propel for 3 or 4 years.  She has had diaherra for a couple years.  Last spring she began having joint pain and swelling & fatigue to name a few.  She is seeing doctors and having many tests done.  Most do not show any positive results.  They have been treating her with drugs that match the symptoms of lupus and rhematoid arthritis.  None have addressed the symptoms.  Her ana antibody is at 1200.  Now she has nodules on her hands and up her arm.  She has been falling which is not normal for her. 

What is the best place for detox?   Can she do this at home?  She is a law student and under extreme stress as you can imagine.

As her mother I am terrified.  She stopped drinking Propel about a week ago and is taking Shaklee food supplements.  She reports not feeling any better but not any worse either.   I asked her to talk to her doctor about this and she was going to do so Friday. 

What should we do?  What can I do as her mother?  She is 25, married and very independent.

Sherrie65: Removing a toxic chemical that you thought was "feeding" your body instead of proper nutrition for it to "graze" upon is only the first step in artificial sweetener recovery. Now, you need to replace the nutrients that chemical diet robbed from your body. Restore good nutrition with an extra boost of vitamins and minerals. You have left your cup half-full; fill it up with some really good nutrients until you can "feel" your health balance restore.

I suggest eating some serious whole foods (75% raw foods at each meal), drinking lots of pure water, adding some chlorophyll and Aloe Vera juice, too.  I also recommend using a quality multi-vitamin and trace mineral complex at least 5-days a week for a while. If you are securing your vitamin restoration through foods, then make it easy on your body, and yourself, by using good vitamin supplements.

Now, you can begin to feel like you are filling the nutrition gap that the diet sweeteners have left, creating that vertigo and hypoglycemia.

PamLG, thank you for your concern about your daughter. I suggest researching some options for her. She needs to identify the cause of her "mysterious" health symptoms. Typically, when nothing shows on a medical test, then it is a "reaction" to a toxin; thankfully the toxins have not embedded so far into the body that they show physical scarring, which is what you "see" on the lab tests.

A hair analysis is a really good tool to use in cases such as this. I suggest the hair analysis when medical tests come up with nothing. Then, she needs to clear her pantry of all chemical foods and diet sweeteners.  Step #2, she needs to detox her body. And lastly, she needs to begin a nutritional program to restore any deficient essential nutrients.

If she takes these steps, she should witness some relief, and then know she is now headed down the right road to true wellness - not the "mask what we don't know with drugs" kind of wellness.

I used Splenda for years, I guess my system had enough and I got a horrible, itchy, red rash, stomach problems and headaches. I tried stopping other things I consume with no relief. However, I then totally cut Splenda and any other artificial sweeteners from my diet and now after a month, no more  rashes, itches, and my stomach is slowly recuperating. That stuff is really terrible for you and if you read all the other peoples ailments caused by it, you would never use it again. I now use Stevia and sometimes regular sugar. My complexion is also much clearer.
Don't use Splenda, Equal or any of those chemical sweeteners, you'll be sorry.

Notice how quickly the body can "rebound" to good health once toxins are no longer taken INSIDE the body.  Within 72 hours, people begin to return to their normal sleep cycles, their skin moistens and has more color, your hair will be shinier, your weight will GO DOWN!, your moods even out and stress is more manageable. Well, I could go on forever about how eliminating aspartame and other food toxins will return your life to you. The most important thing to remember is to give your body, and your children's little growing bodies, the proper food and drink. Then a well-balanced life can be enjoyed again. 

And boy, we ALL can use some of that!!

Hi, I am wondering if there is any info on the use of Splenda and the effects on the Pancreas - specifically - high amylase? Also, if it would have effect on degenerative joint disease?
Thanks
ADH

ADH, your question is very good and very specific. As far as the research on sucralose is concerned, nothing has been researched in the way you are asking. The effects of sucralose on the liver, kidneys and bladder have been studied, but not adverse affects within the pancreas. And pancreas health is a key to good health! Especially when it comes to the assimilation of the chemical sweeteners.

The best bet is for you to search for the research connecting chlorine and the pancreas.  Remember to treat sucralose and Splenda as if you were dealing with a junky grade of chlorine in your food and drink, medicines, gums, candies, etc.

I am attending a wellness class starting Jan 24.  THe material they will be using is by Dr Jordan Rubin.  I have recently began to be concerned because when I went to his web page I was shocked to see that he was advertising Splenda.  When I tried to email him I it bounced back to me.  Can you assist me in contacting him?

I am sorry, but I don't have his contact info. Have you tried contacting the company sponsoring your wellness class?

My grandmother is Diabetic and uses Splenda when ever she eats, or drinks. I have no idea what she can use besides these artificial sweeteners, I am worried because she is in her 60's and I know how harsh the sweeteners are. I researched about the dangers but she is Diabetic and I have no idea what else she could possibly use besides the artificial sweeteners. If you could give me any ideas it would much be apprieciated. Thank you.

I quit smoking about 4 years ago and at that time began chewing gum and eating "sugar free" candies to curb my desire for cigarettes.  It was really odd that here I was trying to make myself healthier and was feeling horrible.  This continued for some time.  I had blood tests, ECGs you name it. 

I was attending a sports show last year and on the drive down was drinking one of those "flavoured waters"  I felt like I was having a panic attach, I had to use the washroom many times and eventually had to check myself into a hotel to lie down and calm down.  I didn't know what was going on.

I went to the Dr. yet again and went through many tests including urine tests, ECG and blood tests.  Nothing! 

About two months later I had another flavoured water left over from a party that I was hosting and had the same situation.  I hadn't had anything else to eat or drink that day so on a whim googled the ingredients.  Sucralose/spenda and was shocked at what I read!  I have subsequently stopped using any artificial sweetners and have been well.  My comments are why aren't warnings on lables, and also what is this not publicised better.

I am once again outraged for I have a cold and took some cough medicine that I had and experienced the same horrible symptoms.  Thinking that it was linking to the cold/flu I took this for two days until I finally looked closer at the lable and was horrified to the final ingredient listed as "sucralose". 

The warnings should be clearer and people shouldn't have to read absolutely everything that they take.  This ingredient is found in odd things such as Imodium a diarhrea treatment which could very well be the cause. 

I live in Canada and would like to make people more aware of the dangers, I have many friends that bake cookies and purchase products containing sucralose for their children.

Thoughts or suggestions?

My (Splenda

Last edited by bobby0512 (03-24-2008 7:46 pm)

bobby0512 wrote:

My (Splenda

Love it!!! And if you are truly a double Capricorn - well delivered message, you Capricorn, you!

I know one side effect that has not be mentioned.  First off I decided to try the splenda product once in the cup of DECAF coffee I was having.  Three days later I finally went to peaceful sleep.  When I have an unexpected event like not being able to sleep for three days (I work mids) I start by reviewing any changes in any of my habits for three days prior to the event.  The only thing that changed was that I had used splenda instead of my usual Equal in my coffee. 
I have run into this several times when some food manufacturers slip sucralose into their foods.  Slim Fast as a name dropped is one of them.  They use it in their liquid Optima diet drinks.  I started using them and noticed that I was having trouble sleeping like I generally do after a couple of cans.  That is when I noticed that they had put sucralose in it.   I wasn't awake for 3 days but I didn't sleep very long either while I was using the drinks.  Their powder does not have this.  So before I use any no sugar added products I check very carefully.  Now after saying all that I also remember that there is another chemical added called actemyl acetate something or other in these same product.  I think it is potassium I am going to have to check.   I sleep quite normally usually but now I am not sure whether it is the sucralose or the aas in the products that is causing the sleep disruptions. 
I cannot recall any sucralose without the other combo with it.

If I eat too late at night or if I am off my sleep schedule, I notice that I have trouble getting back into the sleep-groove.  It takes me a couple of nights to get into a deep sleep.

Maybe your routine and eating schedule is off, too. The diet sugary foods always seem to knock my sleeping patterns off balance, too, especially when I consume them late at night. I find that I typically get up and go to the bathroom more during the night, and that I have stomach cramps in the night.

Brittney_Jewel I have been diabetic since 1989 and I use Sweet 'n Low.  Saccharin is the safest sweetener substitute.  But I only use it in my 1-2 cups of coffee a day and my one glass of iced tea at dinner (I only put 4 packets into a little better than half a gallon of tea, I don't add it by the glass).  I think your grandmother is using Splenda to fix her addiction to "sweets".  If your grandmother gets her sweet from natural foods rather than from cakes, cookies and pies she won't miss the sugary sweets.  There are plenty of naturally sweet foods like fruits and natural sweeteners like honey and molasses available. 

Unfortunately the American Diabetes Association endorses Splenda and Aspartame as evidenced by their use of it in most recipes published in their magazines.  This sends the wrong message to diabetics. This is true of most "diabetic" recipes for desserts.  Honey and molasses are wonderful substitutes and much better for diabetics.

dglocke

Try Agave syrup. It is sweeter than sugar but, only has a glycemic index of 11 as opposed to sugar, which has a GI of 68

Last edited by snubforce1 (06-05-2009 3:08 pm)

Pure agave nectar is great. I grow agave in my garden in Texas.

Hi Dr. Hull,
I have been reading the comments about splenda & aspartame and it's such a shame that our goverment endorces products that are harmful to people. I am a boarder-line diabetic I try not to drink anything with either one. Biggest part of the time I drink water. I use Truvia which has no after taste or bitterness. I also use agave nectar occassionally. Hopefully more people will stop using products that do more harm than good.
Thanks, Joanie

Joanie, you are making some good choices. Try NuStevia by NuNaturals. it is much more organic than Truvia, BUT Truvia is a much better mass produced product than aspartame or Splenda.

Remember that people have lived for centuries with diabetes before diet sweeteners were invented. It IS possible to enjoy your food without diet chemicals while having Type I or Type II diabetes.

Posts [ 1 to 25 of 34 ]

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply