Topic: Niacin, when should you take it?

How long should you take the niacin before you begin exercising/sweating??  Should this be taken on a slightly full stomach??  Can rigorous exercise (running/basketball) be dangerous with a high dosage of niacin??  Is heavy drinking dangerous with niacin??

Re: Niacin, when should you take it?

Hello and thanks for your question. I will see if Dr. Hull can reply with her recommendations. I know when I exercise I make sure to eat a lite meal usually a hour before I engage into my physical activity. I also make sure I have consumed adequate amount of water before, during (moderate intake), and after my regime.

As far as the Niacin, I usually take just enough where I slightly feel the burn. I also take the niacin just after my meal so I don't get a stomach ache. Basically, I take just enough so I feel a lite burn just below the threshold of an intense burn. I think the water intake helps with this process because I sweat a lot of it out.

Anyways, those are my two-cents and it seems to work for me.

Best,

- Andy

Niacin is a natural B vitamin found in red wine, grains, and yeast. Its purpose is to scour the blood for toxins that are too gummy or sticky to excrete naturally. Typically the best time to cleanse the blood is when sweating and when the pores are open because of heat.  If toxins build up in the blood, you require more niacin to cleanse them, so you may need to increase your dosage if this happens. Your body will tell you how much you need by how strong your flush is. NEVER, I mean NEVER, take the flush-free or time-released forms of niacin. They are not pure nor natural, and are manufactured to NOT flush. The flush can be scary the first time you experience one, and manufacturers want you buying their product again, so they make it in a form to not create a flush. This is VERY toxic to the liver, and will sit in the liver too long. Time-released forms of niacin are made to remain in the liver and assimilate slowly throughout the day - these are highly dangerous to liver health. The body typically ingests all nutrients and processes them within 45 minutes - that's what nature wants.

I take niacin with a light snack or meal because it can cause a tummy ache for a few short minutes, But, that's not pleasant. Eat a banana or a smoothie with your niacin and then go do something that opens your pores. Basketball and aerobic exercise is ideal - the body is pumping, sweating, and cleaning toxins through the skin. Perfect!

You ideally want to flush within 20 minutes of taking niacin. this indicates that your digestion is good, and quick, and that your blood is cleansing. If you do not feel a flush or it takes a hour or two to feel it, then it has more toxins than niacin, and you  want to increase the dose, slowly each day.

I have written about the naicin in detail in my 10-Steps To Detoxification book. If you are interested in learning more about the natural supplements that aid in detoxification, you might want to read my book.

I used to make smoothies, which I love, using the WW packets.  However, I noticed they contain aspartame.  What do you use as a base to make your smoothies?  Do you have any less toxic ways to make a smoothie?

I make smoothies with pure juices or yogurts, quality protein powder, and then I add flax seed oil, Brewer's yeast, and fresh fruits.  I do not add any extra sugars for sweetness other than from the natural fruits and their juices. I have learned to be satisfied with the natural sweetness of all foods, and once you get into the zen of savoring nature's own, you don't need to add any sugars, or salts for that matter.

Nature has a way of pleasing the palate; train your taste buds to enjoy the natural sweetness of whole foods!

Can you recommend a quality protein powder?  I think I used a whey protein about 5 years ago for a short time.  Is that any good?  I don't even know what whey protein is or what made me use it in the first place.  What is Brewer's yeast?  That must be different than the yeast extract and autolyzed yeast you want us to stay away from.  What is maltodextrin?  I see it in some of the organic foods I've been buying.  Is that something I should be worried about?  It wasn't on your list of things to avoid, but it was listed as one of the ingredients you identified on a back of crackers that had no nutritional value.  I love your site and your products and the fact that you are so accessible!  Thank you!

I use NOW's protein supplements, they contain whey. Now adays a lot of the protein powders contain artificial sweeteners so watch out!

- Andy