Topic: Looking to dump splenda/aspartame...what is best?

Hi, Due to addistional knowledge I now have thanks to this forum. I want to eliminate the bad sweetners from my diet to hopefully get a Neuro problem I have under control or compltely gone. 

If I stop the diet soda and stop splenda.  I have also been a Walden Farms user for a diet I follow and I guess that now must go to. What is the absolute BEST replacement I can use for them.  I want the best recommendation please.  A friend of mine is using Truvia have you heard of it?  Made from the stevia plant I believe, it is newer on the market though.  I just want safe and healthy.  Always trying to lose/maintain weight so I did not want to resort to real sugar if possible.
Thanks!!

Re: Looking to dump splenda/aspartame...what is best?

Well, a little bit of sugar, refined or unprocessed, isn't going to hurt you; even if diabetic. The diet sweeteners actually cause weight gain and more harm to diabetics. The research done on Splenda showed issues with rats with diabetes - yes, rats with diabetes. Hum, they DEVELOPED IT, you see.

I recommend using NO added sugar. Go with organic milk in coffee or tea; and no drive through coffee doo-dahs. They are replete with sugars, MSG, fake fats, etc. They taste good, but why drink your desert??

Eat and drink your natural sweetness. These sugars are in a complex form and have NOT been processed yet, and the body actually burns calories while digesting them. Plus, our brains need glucose. Let your body be the sugar refinery.

Use saccharin if you must - it's been around for 100+ years and is still the #1 substitute in Europe and Asia. Stevia has been around for 1,500 years. It is awesome. Try this link for an excellent, quality stevia product: http://www.nunaturals.com/products/stevia.html .

Agave nectar (the original ones) are good, Succanat unprocessed sugar out of the cane fields is what I personally keep in the sugar bowl, and when you eat a product that has some refined or natural sugar added to it, eat smaller portions and enjoy it.

Thanks to marketing campaigns, people are now afraid of their food, and definitely afraid of sugar. That's poppycock - there is nothing wrong with a little bit of sugar, preferably unprocessed forms.

If you want a soda, there are plenty of natural sodas available at your higher-end markets that are made with cane sugars, unprocessed sugars, and now with stevia. Boycott the junk colas - enjoy an occasional soda pop with quality. But have it as a treat; drink water as your mainstay.

Hi from New Zealand.
Iv just found out about Splenda & we are going to buy a Stevia Herb Plant, as the Stevia products here cost quite a lot of $$$.

I this these Forums are Great Iv found out so much just today.

Thankyou.

Grahame

Thank you for your posts. Remember that a high quality stevia will be more expensive than the lesser quality sweeteners, but a little bit goes a long way, like any herb. So, it may seem more expensive at first, but you will be able to stretch that out, and in the long run, you probably will spend less.

Try this, too: don't sweeten if you can avoid it. Real food is naturally sweet, and adding extra sugars merely masks their true flavors. Take cereal, for example. Quality grains are sweet. Add fruit and roasted nuts to your cereal and NO sugars. It is wonderful. Add organic milk or cream to coffee and NO sugars. It is wonderful. French press your fresh coffee beans or tea leaves, add some organic dairy, and yum - and NO sugars.

You can cut out adding extra sweetness by doing this, and then, your use of stevia is even less.

drjshull wrote:

Thank you for your posts. Remember that a high quality stevia will be more expensive than the lesser quality sweeteners, but a little bit goes a long way, like any herb. So, it may seem more expensive at first, but you will be able to stretch that out, and in the long run, you probably will spend less.

Try this, too: don't sweeten if you can avoid it. Real food is naturally sweet, and adding extra sugars merely masks their true flavors. Take cereal, for example. Quality grains are sweet. Add fruit and roasted nuts to your cereal and NO sugars. It is wonderful. Add organic milk or cream to coffee and NO sugars. It is wonderful. French press your fresh coffee beans or tea leaves, add some organic dairy, and yum - and NO sugars.

You can cut out adding extra sweetness by doing this, and then, your use of stevia is even less.

I've found this is true.  We have a package of raw sugar in the house for occasional baking, or guests, that we've had for about two years and it's still nearly full.  I don't crave sweets since we essentially stopped using refined sugar.  But occasionally I get a hankering for a cola.  I found a health food store that sells a stevia sweetened cola and I like it.  But I limit my intake, it's a treat, even though the stevia doesn't bother me.  It's not the sweet that I crave, it's the icy cold liquid cola flavored drink.  (Summer time especially!) If I could find a cola w/little or no sweetener I'd try it.

When we get a real craving for a certain desert, we go out for it, sometimes even split one serving if it's large, savor it, and don't bring any home.  So far that's worked well.

We were on a strict budget several yrs ago and ate as cheap as possible.  On a diet of ramen noodles and '5 burgers for 5 bucks' at a local fast food joint, etc, we both gained weight and felt horrid.  When we again started eating better, (unprocessed foods, no refined sugar, white flour, or hydrogenated fats), the weight came off and has stayed off for years.  But that kind of eating isn't the cheapest.  The food co's really have packaged some 'poison' and most of the aisles in the store are filled with it.  And most of the 'light" versions are sweetened with one or another of the artificial sweeteners that I now avoid.

Last edited by CSCH (06-23-2009 2:20 pm)

Where can I purchase "Stevia"? I've never heard of it and just last week my boyfriend was diagnoised with Diabetes. He went out and brought some Splenda and I told him don't eat that, but now ever Equal and Sweet & Low are all bad. He had a serious sweet tooth and is searching for an alternative for his cravings. Please Help....Fast.

Look on-line or at Whole Foods - I like the stevia from NuNaturals called NuStevia. Well to be honest with you, I do not use any sweeteners or sugar - I go with the natural sweetness of whole foods. But my sister has diabetes and when she tried this product,  she gave it glowing reviews. She had more stable insulin and blood sugar readings, she likes the aftertaste, she bakes with it, and has gone from saccharin to NuStevia. Her opinion is all I need as a recommendation because she is a very cautious, and picky, diabetic.

The pink packet of saccharin is fine and always has been. I wrote about the history of saccharin in my Splenda: Is It Safe Or Not? book - it NEVER cause cancer.

But agave nectar and stevia are the way to go, and Zevia is a new soft drink with stevia in it. The cola flavor is supposed to be pretty good.

drjshull wrote:

Zevia is a new soft drink with stevia in it. The cola flavor is supposed to be pretty good.

I like Zevia's cola. Their rootbeer is ok.  I don't care for their citrus sodas, to me they taste "fake."

BTW, are these type sodas still as bad for your teeth and bones as the big-name companies' sodas?  I have read that carbonated drinks work to destroy tooth enamel, and bones.

Carbonated drinks do interact with the calcium and other bone nutrients inside your body, so make sure to not drink colas too often or drink too many, and have a cola every now and again, and NOT everyday. But, also, restore your bone nutrients through a good silica supplement and the combination of bone nutrients found in products like the Perfect Calcium and Bone-Up, or Bone Strength.

Where can I found the Zevia Cola you mentioned?

In Texas, we have it at Whole Foods and Market Street. I bet Trader Joe's has it, but they are not in the Dallas area. Go online, and you can order on-line: https://store.zevia.com/

I have been researching for a good sugar substitute for a long time.  There are some possibilities that are natural and sweet.  One of the candidates is a natural substance called Trehalose  another is Lo Han Gou.  Although these are not as sweet as sugar they are sweet and have a history of being safe even for diabetics.

I run a program called Metabolic Bio Typing and my clients are required to avoid sugar.  This has been extremely hard for them as any substitute they usually find when researched are actually worse for them than the sugar ever was.  I am working on a formula for my clients now that contains only healthy natural ingredients, is economical, can be used as sugar and tastes as sweet as sugar.  Hopefully I will be able to offer this to them in the near future.

Great post, and good luck with your new product. I agree with your post, and I wrote in my book Splenda: Is It Safe Or Not? that both Lo Han and Trehalose are safe sweetener alternatives.

Good luck!

drjshull wrote:

Use saccharin if you must - it's been around for 100+ years and is still the #1 substitute in Europe and Asia. Stevia has been around for 1,500 years. It is awesome. Try this link for an excellent, quality stevia product: http://www.nunaturals.com/products/stevia.html .

Saccharin = Sweet N Low right?  The pinks?  I know I use way too many a day and am trying to cut back or use Truvia but its tough!  I love my morning coffee w/3 pinks and I drink a lot of iced tea with it too but trying to just do the coffee and switch my tea out for water.  What's better, Sweet N Low or Truvia if you are going to have 4 packets a day?  Wow I always thought Splenda was the safest one until reading this site!  Yikes!

Last edited by LiLi77 (04-25-2011 6:24 pm)

I would switch to stevia, and use the pink pack when eating out. But, use NuStevia from NuNaturals as opposed to the mass-produced, corporate Truvia. Or select a pure brand of stevia from the health market because the purer, the better.