Topic: Breast-feeding & Diet Coke

I came across this website while searching for information about breast-feeding and aspartame.  Interestingly, I found the official position in Australia to be that 'aspartame does not cross over into breast milk and consuming diet products containing aspartame is fine'.  However, I have noticed that every time I consume a drink of Diet Coke, my 8-month-old breast-fed baby will vomit (not violently but significantly more than the usual posset) within a few hours.  He does not vomit any other time.  At first I thought it was a coincidence but as I don't drink it very often it was quite easy to prove.  My husband agrees that this is the cause, as there have been times when he has been caring for the baby in my absence and will ask, "Did you have a Diet Coke today?"  Every time, I had.  I could not find ANY information that describes aspartame intolerance/allergy in breast-fed babies.  He also has a long-term hive-like rash on his torso, which I am now thinking may be related.  I know that Diet Coke absolutely causes my 'irritable bowel' to play up.  (I have known this for years but it is just so addictive that I still cave in occasionally!)  Are we just super-sensitive to this additive, or is this common?  I have asked other breast-feeding mothers about this and they have not noticed anything unusual in their children...

Last edited by ballenger (02-05-2009 6:16 am)

Re: Breast-feeding & Diet Coke

I think it's definitely related!  Stop drinking it!  Your baby is having a reaction to the aspartame.  It's poison and causes brain lesions too.  Very harmful to your baby.  STOP drinking it immediately.  It's harmful to you as well.  The effects of aspartame stay in your body longer than just a few hours.  The toxins and their by-products accumulate in your body - making you more and more toxic over time.

Breast feeding is very important for a child and his/her proper growth. I can tell that there is no exception of this. You can give up aspartame while feeding.
Corporate Caterers London

Last edited by Davidcam12 (10-26-2012 2:25 pm)

Of course aspartame passes through the breast milk! If you drank a martini before breastfeeding, the alcohol is commonly known to pass onto the baby. If you eat a clove of garlic, that passes through the milk. My point - we ALL know that what mom eats or drinks passes through the breast milk, so why in Heaven's Name, would anyone make the statement that aspartame doesn't?

Oh my goodness - the information the "other side" is putting out is totally meaningless and truly an insult to human intelligence. Ballenger, follow your instincts and your maternal instincts will speak the loudest. You KNOW in your heart of hearts that aspartame is toxic and adversely affecting your precious little one. Stop believing the marketers who want to make money off you and your child's health reactions. And consider NOT inoculating your baby if possible. Keep all man-made chemicals away from your developing baby!

Any OB will tell you not to drink alcohol when pregnant and breastfeeding because it gets though to the baby. So, duh, the toxins in aspartame will do the same thing, especially since it's part methanol. Why have docs gotten so dumbed-down???