Topic: My Aspartame Story

Hi, I'm 15 years old and this is my story. For almost 4-5 years of my life, I was drinking 3 54oz. Diet Coke drinks from Circle K. I was very addicted to the stuff and constantly craved it. I was pretty symptomless besides headaches which I never made the connection to Aspartame until a long time after my poisoning. One day, I bought a sugar-free lemonade mix that only about 2 tablespoons would make a whole container of lemonade. I was on antibiotics for an ear infection that I had at the time. I drank a glass that night.
     The very next morning, about an hour after waking up, I noticed I had problems with my contact lenses on the way to school, everything looked and seemed very different. When I was in class, I noticed that I felt like I was floating around my room, almost out of my body or on a roller coaster. This caused me to have a panic attack and I immediately went to the nurse. I was scared to death, I had no idea what was going on. The nurse sent me home and besides the dizziness my anxiety subsided. That entire week I was having a panic attack nearly every day, I had constant dizziness, when I tried to go to sleep I would feel like I was having electric shocks in my head and felt sometimes as if I was flying or drowning.
     All of these symptoms suddenly appearing brought on anxiety and depression, I was having heart palpitations. What bothered me for the longest time was that I felt as if my cheeks were being pressed and I felt like I had a metal ball growing in my ears. It was very painful and I kept thinking that it had something to do with my sinus problems or an ear infection. One day in class, I lifted my hand and it was shaking more than my grandfather's, that day I also felt as if I were in a fog, everything seemed very weird. At one point I felt like I actually had to think to walk and that I could not stop myself. This suffering lasted nearly 2 1/2 months.
     I had a CT scan, many doctors appointments, 2-3 ENT appts., they found nothing. My father made a call with an Otoneurologist, a neurologist specializing in dizziness and balance. The appointment was 2 hours long, he went over nearly every aspect of my life. One of these was my diet, I told him how I drank a large amount of Diet Soda. He found this very interesting and told me that it could be Aspartame causing my symptoms. I immediately quit drinking Diet Soda and read the labels on things for Acesulfame K/Aspartame and sucralose.    My symptoms were subsiding very slowly, I didn't feel a huge difference until about 5 months later. I realized during that period of time that MSG also was causing similar symptoms, so I began to eat organic and take vitamins, krill oil, CoQ10, etc. My dizziness was not as great and I no longer felt as if I was in a roller coaster all the time, however, my night vision did seem to get worse, also, I get weird squiggly lines, there's a huge hue change in my vision. Things just don't seem the same. It has been about 430 days since this, and I still continue to deal with my eye problems, everything else has subsided but sometimes I will notice my dizziness slightly if I focus on it.

I hope some people can relate and share their story, also, if anyone knows anything I can do about my vision.. Please, help me. Thank you.

Last edited by Tonys (05-15-2011 9:32 pm)

Re: My Aspartame Story

You're 15 years old?  Dude, you are more mature and intelligent than most 40 year olds!  You go, dude. You'll fix this and then you'll be a true leader. You go, dude!

I am not a doctor by no means and I'm very sorry for your health effects with the horrible sweetners. I would advise you contact a holistic doctor. I hope you find some answers.

peace

You are searching in the right places, for sure. Keep looking for your answers in alternative places. Traditional medicine has, sadly, abandoned us all concerning aspartame.

o1jenn16 wrote:

I am not a doctor by no means and I'm very sorry for your health effects with the horrible sweetners. I would advise you contact a holistic doctor. I hope you find some answers.

peace

I agree, maybe you should also seek the help of a holistic healer, put any skepticsm aside and give it a go you never know. I wish you the best of luck, well wishes to you.

May

Last edited by Maylee33 (11-27-2011 6:15 pm)

I also think it is a good idea to get a second opinion from another doctor.

Wow your story sounds very similar to mine!!! I quit just over a month ago, and my symptoms have seemed to be very slowly improving. Only problem is now i have stomach issues, and have to be on stuff to settle my stomach. I am also seeing a herbalist - i'd suggest seeing one as they can give you herbal medicine which helps your body to detox properly. I also suggest you look into doing a proper detox -  many people have suffered with the effects until they did a proper detox, as their body needed to be cleansed. I am starting a 500 calorie diet (along with herbal drops similar to the HCG diet) which hopefully will help my body to fully detox. Its amazing hearing how many people have done the same diet i am starting, and their illnesses have either gotten much better or disappeared. My mum did it and her eyesight has even gotten better!! A couple of weeks ago she couldnt even tell she wasnt wearing her glasses!! Really shows you how much horrible, poisoning crap we take into our bodies.
The constant dizziness- this is something i have dealt with for the past 2.5 years, its horrible. But everyone i've seen has always put it down to anxiety, not given it any attention. Ive never had scans or anything, because as soon as i said i was also feeling anxious they say that all my physical symptoms were because of the anxiety. I've always said that i believed it was the other way around - all the symptoms caused the anxious and depressed feeling, cause no matter how anxious i feel, even when there is no anxiety there i still feel dizzy. To tell you the truth, this forum is really the first place where i have seen people believe this, and give me hope.
Good luck with your journey, and try a detox or seeing a herbalist. If you need a good old chat, just let me know. smile

Ah - this is what I like to see on our forum. Those who have been through this, like me, helping those who are just figuring this out, like teejay22, helping those who are just waking up to this, like Tonys.

Just know that this is not anyone's fault other than the manufacturers who know aspartame is dangerous, the advertisers who publish copy that they know is BS, and the politicians who are lining their pockets with dirty money.

The key is to STOP buying the stuff. All these corporate creeps care about is the money that they get, so if the money stops, they'll drop this one and focus on the next scam.

Yep, if their money stops, they'll just go to something else to make money on. But, I think they make so much money off medical tests and prescription drugs from the side-effects of aspartame that their money won't stop. It's gone on far too long and now it's far too complicated for consumers to just stop buying the stuff.

Hey im just curious about your situation. when you say your symptoms gradually improved, did your dizziness get worse before it got better?? I was very positive that i was going to get better, but have been suffering lately sad I am always exhausted, and i suffer more lightheadedness or 'unreal' feeling than spinning feeling. It seems to be getting worse and i dont know what to do sad I just wish it would bugger off, am going to try going gluten free for a bit and see if that helps smile

teejay22, something else might be going on, or your body may need some specific vitamins. Have you considered having a hair analysis done to find out what else needs to be tweaked? Go to http://www.hairanalysisprogram.com/ and see if I can help you do some digging into this.

I signed up just to chime-in in this thread. I too am addicted to soda before. I can't go a day without at least two cans of the stuff. But after a friend pointed me to this article about aspartame, I was convinced that soda may not be the best for my health. I now avoid soda (and artificial sweeteners) at all cost. Hope this helps others on the fence about aspartame.

Well, lastkiss, welcome to my world and over 25 years of informing people about this issue. You will enjoy my book, Sweet Poison, as this is the first book written about this issue. I almost died from aspartame in 1991, and began my research into aspartame dangers. Sweet Poison has all the research and history for you to learn that this issue has been going on since 1965! About time we overpower the politics keeping it on the market, you think???

Yes i have been considering it. I go to a herbal naturopath who is also a family friend and am going to talk to him about it. I now have another theory -  i know aspartame has had a detrimental effect to my health, i couldn't lose weight when i was drinking it and 'that time of month' was all messed up. But, we have recently heard about internal parasites and alot of the stuff i suffer from are symptoms of parasites. So i am on a herbal tablet which gets rid of worms, and if that doesnt work i am going to try and get tests for lyme disease and candida. Lyme disease is veryyy probable, since i live right next to a nature reserve which is a haven for ticks, and have been bitten a few times. But, the worms also sounds very possible. I read on a site that the worms rear their ugly head usually when the moon is at its closest to the earth. And, believe it or not, the last time was december 2008, just before all my issues started. SO, hoping and praying this is the answer tongue Its a bit hard with the hair testing and stuff as i am in AUstralia, but i think my doctor will think i'm crazy if i go to him so ill stick to my herbalist as im pretty sure he can organise all that for me tongue

You know, teejay22, aspartame is not the only cause of health issues, for sure. When it is used and health issues appear, it is more than likely the sole cause, but if health issues have been brewing before aspartame use, the sweet poison merely serves to break your body down faster. Many times when aspartame is removed, the deeper health issues then surface, and these can be addressed. The key point here is the fact that you would never have identified the deeper issue if it was being masked by the toxic reactions to aspartame.

Parasites are around us all, and microbes, bacteria, fungus, yeast or worms are an issue for most animals on this planet. Cleansing fro microbes is smart to do at least once every year - for everyone. For those who work or live around animals, as I do also, I do a parasite cleanse twice every year!

One can never be too clean!!!!

lastkiss - have you noticed an improvement in your health since you stopped using aspartame?