Topic: Sweet Stevia, Sweeeet

Excerpt: Stevia is what I consider a natural sucrose (sugar) substitute - sweeeet! Stevia is similar to any natural herb, except that it's sweet. And stevia is safe for diabetics, and can actually be a healthy choice for lowering blood glucose levels and insulin demands. It's naturally delicious and a much... Continue Reading Sweet Stevia, Sweeeet from Dr. Hull's free monthly ezine, The Healthy Newsletter.

Re: Sweet Stevia, Sweeeet

This is John with ADTAS Alliance for Donation and Transplantation Awareness and Support.
  We have a lot of diabetic members on our transplant Support group including myself. I am a liver recipient of 7 1/2 years. My question is how does Stevia compare with Agave? I have tired to use less and less Stevia and it still has a bitter taste to me. I do not know if it matters but I am using the powder form ? Also I have just been diagnosed with Kidney failure. Does any of this change from this point on?

Thank you

Stevia has a problem with it

she's right, you only need a tiny bit of stevia to sweeten anything.  I think the ratio is about 1/32 of a teaspoon (a tiny pinch) to sweeten a cup of coffee or tea. 
cool

I just read your article about stevia and I am wondering if the small plant I recently purchased at my local garden supply store is the same thing.  I have tasted it and the taste is like the stevia powder that I buy from my local healthfood store so I guess it is the same. I understand though, that it is not a perennial and I will have to take it indoors for winter. Is this true?

Yeah, with Stevia you just need a little bit.

- A

ADTAS - pure and natural agave nectar is wonderful. I grow it in my garden in Texas.

nutrico - I DO NOT agree with isolating sugar alcohols, mixing and matching more chemicals, natural or not, together in a lab, and then blending it with a pure form of a sweetener and calling it safe and natural so you can sell it. I believe that a sweet food or herb is just that - eat it as the food or the herb. Stevia is like dried basil or oregano; some like it and some don't. But to make it more pleasing to the taste by altering the original form, is not along my lines of thinking. You either like it or you don't. But leave it as it is.

Sugar alcohols are being over used, as we Americans love to do, and it is causing serious IBS and digestive issues. Children should not be encouraged to eat or drink too many sugar alcohols, nor should women who are pregnant. I am sorry, but I cannot support your products.

My recommendation is for people to find something  that they like that is unaltered by man.

tabitha - match the growing environment of Uruguay, South America; you will probably want to put the plant in a greenhouse or bring it in in winter months.

Since the water in China is contaminated from the Benzene spill sometime ago, is it safe to consume really anything to eat or drink from China?  Some of the Stevia is coming from China I have noticed.

Since natural Stevia is Green in color, what process are the manufactures using to make it a White powder such as in Stevia in the Raw?

Sadly, our modern world is becoming more and more polluted as we saturate our environments with man-made chemicals. The solutions to cleaning up our environments may be too late for many areas, particularly the oceans and coastal regions. I would do your best to detox on a regular basis as a lifestyle, redheadbug.

Stevia is a good choice. I assume that when they manufacture stevia for bulk use like this, they grind it up to the point that it powders. I don't think it is processed unnaturally, though, and I believe if the company producing the stevia is using all natural stevia and adding nothing to it, it should be fine to use. Have you researched on the web the company producing it?

I am using a very simple form of stevia from an organic Health store  called Stevita. Is this a safe product.  Stevia in the Raw found in Walmart also has Maltodextrin.  Don't need that.  What is the purest stevia product on the market.  I do not use Truvia or other sweetners.  Pure Stevia is all I am going to ingest.  Artificial Sweetners nearly took my life 4 years ago. I thought it was Systemic Candidiasis that nearly took it, but doing research for 6 years now, I believe that using artifical sweetners since age 9 done me in...  I am back in the swing, and pretty much watch everything I eat.  I lost 140 lbs.  But just recently I am convinced that any amount of artificial sweetners, or MSG or any other food additive is just going to kill me softely and quietly.  NOT ME!  I don';t eat any refined sugars knowingly.  I very rarely use any other form of sweetner.  I am noticing a difference.  My husband has been drinking diet pop... Got him convinced past 5 days and he seems to be aching all over, stomach and just plain old don't feel good.  Could he be detoxifying or withdrawal from caffeine and aspartame all at once?  Just wondering.

My first post here. Very good site. I have been using stevia for a couple of years, as well as raw sugar or honey, I find it great for using in my medicinal herbal teas. (I use a special blend a friend untorduced me from the Balkans that does wonders for eczema!).

All these natural sweeteners are just that - natural. This is what your body expects, you know. Yes, LuAnn, Stevita is a good product choice. And decafjava, your choices of raw sugar and honey are spot on.

Keep up the good work, LuAnn.