Topic: Frustrated too and sick by Splenda!!

I cannot believe there were no warnings for this product.  Does anyone know if we could bring a lawsuit against them?  I have been in decline over the past 2 years and just discovered this link to Splenda.  I stopped it cold turkey on Thursday and can already see the change.  I had rosaecea with pustules on my face and no Dermotologist could figure it out.  Even went to UT Med Center here in Hou..No answers.  Funny thing was I asked the Derms about Splenda and they have NO IDEA!!!  Said it should be ok and not the problem.  I wasted so much time and money and not too mention depression from not wanting people to see me this way. 

In addition to the face, major skin itchiness.  I wake up itching in my sleep, scratching it raw.  I have scars on my chest from the sores that I would get in the summer and that wasn't even from scratching.  They would just appear.  But wait..there's more, the headaches which I never got before, joint problems.  I had a werid case of Chondritis (sp) which was my breast bone tissue being sore for about 6 months.  Have no idea how that came about.  Interrupted sleep, heart palps, constant ringing in my ears.  All of this I thought was a part of the "Change".  I am now 45 (female) and am glad I made this discovery.  Wish I would have sooner.  I am detoxing and switching to agave nectar or just plain sugar, and maybe some Stevia.

I seriously don't think this product is safe for consumption.  I was duped and would love to take them to court.  I mean, what other health risks are in store for us down the road even though we've stopped using it?

Re: Frustrated too and sick by Splenda!!

Jeknudson, welcome to the forum.  Here I am sure you will find many answers to your question in regards to this awesome chemical drug masquerading as an enjoyable sweetener.  No, most doctors do not have any idea of the effects of this “plague” on our health.  Plague may be the wrong term needed because this issue is produced by greed and desire for mo’ money and not by something that “Mother Nature” came up with.

PatB

Here's the problem--there are scientists that are clearly in the pocket of the pharmaceutical companies, like McNeil, that manufactures Splenda, who are saying Splenda is "safe."  The courts, unfortunately, have been known to side with these scientists. 

Case in point:  the first author on a recent study that is getting cited all over the place as evidence of Splenda's safety is David Brusick.  He is a consultant for pharmaceutical companies and in the past he successfully helped defend chemical companies in Canada against complaints of Agent Orange damage by Vietnam vets (see Veteran Activist Gary McMahon's report at http://garymcmahon.bravehost.com/Everyo … ahon.pdf).  Brusick argued for the chemical companies and he was favored by the judges.  He also used to be the head of Covance Labs, a place that PETA cited as horrible in terms of cruel animal testing.  His research in the past has been supported by Dow Chemicals. 

All kinds of people, various media outlets and others, even the Center for Science in the Public Interest, say that Splenda is "safe" and say Brusick's study overrules earlier studies that showed harm from Splenda.  Big Pharma has lots of money to buy consultants who do research and testify in courts and before the FDA.  It's really sad but there is so much money at stake.

WOW..Thanks Pat and CA1999..  Good info to know.  I am very thankful for this site.  Now to see how long it takes to get this out of my system.  I have alot of fat cells right now so who knows.  I saw one poster on here that said it's been 3 months and she is still trying.  I'm hoping for 2 weeks since I am doing a hard core workout 5 times per week.

At CA1999, a long time ago I did a school book report on Agent Orange and knew about the "cover up" and even had a friend (sharp shooter) who died of a brain tumor thought to be caused by Agent Orange.  You're right then, there's nothing to be done at this point in time if this Brusick is all over the place!!  Thanks again!!

If it weren't for the internet, we'd all be in the dark about all of this. And, of course, they are now trying to regulate the web. For now, tap into all the true info that you can and spread the word because the clock is ticking on the freedom we have to inform others.

Splenda caused my facial hair to fall out.  I have been taking pictures of it and have posted some on my blog so that other people with similar symptoms may compare.  The blog is located here:  http://splendamakesmyhairfallout.blogspot.com/.

Zack W., good job on this report.  There have been so many complaints on Splenda and now this.  I am sure so many problems stem from the use of these artificial sweeteners and not realized by the consumer.  Even with those that are recorded you would think that would start an investigation but then again you have all this money floating around to circumvent any idea of that nature.  Great letter to McNeil, please keep us up to date on what you hear back if anything.  Also thanks for “volunteering” to be a guinea pig to find/prove the cause of your hair loss.

PatB

I think we are all seeing how the "powers that be" have been running things, right? But, now enough people are experiencing the effects of the corruption. We must continue to put our stories out, use the Internet as the best tool to get the truth out, and one day - some day - the truth will HAVE to win over the power of profit. What is it going to take to stop these people? You know??

This is my first post to make on any site after looking for 3 years to find what is causing my allergies, maddening itchiness, facial breakouts, (which doctor after doctor has told me is rosacea, but I did not believe) ADD like symptoms, anxiety to the tenth degree, terrible ear ringing/pain, brain fog, chronic heartburn, hopelessness, tingles in hands and feet.  I COULD go on, but I am sure to those who are reading this, not on get, but can relate to my drift.
In fact,  after fixing my daily morning coffee heaped with splenda, I had to come lay down because my joints were hurting in addition to the tingles, and the heaviness felt in my brain.  I just happened upon the website 'sweet-poison' while searching yet again for some answers to this madness and after reading the symptoms of sucralose and it all sounded strangely familiar. It sure does seem to fit some of the 'broken brain cells' together for me though.  I can trace exactly when I began having panic attacks and correlate it with the use of splenda.  It was in 2004 and I had started the ATKINS diet.  This is EXACTLY when I introduced Splenda into my diet.  This means that I have been using this 'Agent White', I'll call it, for a VERY long time, but at least not to the degree I did when I was on Atkins for about a year.  Not that this brings me much comfort or anything as I suddenly disembark into thought of how small doses of arsenic can still kill a person, it just takes longer when laced onto a powered doughnut. OH GEEZ!  If this is all true. Then I have been a dead girl walking for way too long. I just never made the connection, but with a half functioning brain due to Splenda, how could I? I am truly hoping this is the root of my problems, because I have spent almost everything I had saved on doctors for various illnesses.  Not to mention the money that I have spent riding the coat tail of every internet 'snake charmer' who promised they could cure me 100 percent with their proven to work in one day elixirs.  Again, I would like to blame this irrational and unfounded trust on abnormal brain function!!!!  I will, however, tell you something I was, by some miracle, still able to make a mental note of; After Atkins, I began buying light in everything I ate, sugar free this and that and my weight reach an incredible all time high of 236.  I had never been above 155 at most.  Amazingly ironic too or so it seems, I decided about two years ago to just start eating real everything: butter, sour cream, ( I did also cut out cheese for the most part) creamer, etc. etc.  I now am back to around 150 with no help from Atkins or Jenny Craig!  I just made the comment the other day to someone inquiring about my weight loss that I thought there was a correlation between my weight loss and the ousting of the fake food.  Either that or I must be about to die since I am 41 and feel mentally and physically about 91, which she all too readily agreed upon as she nibbled on her 'fat-free' cheez while remarking she did not understand why the scales weighed her 2 pounds heavier this week than last week at her weigh in at Weight Watchers.  Go Figure!!!!
Before I end my entirely too long, but much needed 'post-vomit', I would like to close by saying that I bummed that I just wasted even more of my wages on that Big shiny yellow bag of arsenic, I mean Splenda purchased yesterday!  But, I am happy to report I dumped my freshly topped condiment holder containing this expensive harmless looking substance down the drain when I last went into the kitchen.  As I did this, I could not help making this comparison, "Anti-christ is a fake for Christ and Splenda is a fake for sugar.  Both made to look and seem pure as the driven snow, but once either is taken in, All Hell Breaks Loose!!!  Fake is Fake, so I am back to what is REAL for my MEAL, 'Pass the sugar please!'
Maybe I will post again in a few with the results I find from abolishing this impostor from my body, mind, and household.:)

Wow. Your experience is typical of so many of us - you have to figure this travesty out on your own because the truth about the dangers of the diet sweeteners is so manipulated, hidden from the public, and controlled. Once you figure this out, you are blown away, really. It's like "how can this be so serious and go on for so long without being exposed?" Once you get past this reality, you have to address your health issues pretty much on your own. Your doctors aren't any help. Your family will think you've gone crackers. It's crazy how distorted this issue is.

You are on your way to figuring this out, and know you're not alone.

Thank you everyone to continue to comment your experiences.  Just wanted to post an update..

Well it's been over a month and a half since I quit Splenda and I can definitely see the improvement.  My face issues have pretty much cleared up.  I say pretty much because I've always had allergic reactions before Splenda but the Splenda made my face a mess non-stop.  My joints feel way better as well as my head, not as foggy these days.  My stomach is better but I've also been taking probiotics as my stomach had slight issues before Splenda and it just made things worse.  The ringing in my ears is still around but I have also been battling a severe damaged tooth root infection come to find out and just finished antibiotics for that.  So we will see what else continues to clear up.  I do plan on seeing my GP soon to get bloodwork done to see where my liver and kidneys stand..

Awesome! Removing toxins can definitely make such a difference. Every bit helps, and slowly but surely, you will eliminate them all and your body will be able to function without the constant stress of trying to get rid of food toxins.

Great news, jeknudson.

The ringing in your ears should lessen as you get farther away from the chemical toxicity. But, you might always be sensitive to high pitched sounds.