Topic: 7th grade science fair project

I am in the seventh grade and would like to do a science fair project on the effect of aspartame on ants.  My mother was actively addicted to Diet Coke for many, many years.  I became interested in this topic when I witnessed my own mom quit drinking Diet Cokes because of reading your book Sweet Poison.  It's a miracle!  I am writing to ask you if I may use the title of your book Sweet Poison as my science fair project title.  I will be citing your book as a reference and simply cannot think of a more appropriate phrase than "sweet poison" to describe aspartame.  My science teacher said I would probably need your permission to use that title. Would that be OK?  It is just a middle school science fair, but I think it is important to get the word out about artificial sweeteners.  My mom is one of the lucky ones, thanks to your book.  Thanks again, Snooey's daughter

Re: 7th grade science fair project

Wow, double cool, Snooey - your inquiry at such a wonderful young age, and your mom benefited from my book. Very cool.

Yes, please title your project "Sweet Poison." I am honored. And what a neat project, huh? Those ants won't touch a diet cola can! Put some Equal out, too. They'll trail the other way.....they'll go to the packet of real sugar and climb up to the sticky ring on the regular cola can. Is this what you're doing??

Thank you so much! In my experiment, I was hoping to show that aspartame is actually toxic to ants.  So I will probably have to trick them into eating it by mixing the aspartame with honey and water.  And as my control, feed a separate colony just honey and water.  You are so right, I remember that when my mom would leave out her diet coke can the bees wouldn't come near, but they would drown themselves in a sprite can.  Now that I have my title, I can get to work on my science project.  Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.  Happy Holidays! smile  - Snooey's daughter

Let us know how it turns out. I did something to similar to this for a college lab paper.

Hi!  My science fair project got first place in its division.  The ants that were contained with the aspartame, honey, and water did not die immediately.  First they went haywire.  The control group made a little colony and set up camp in their container.  The aspartame group were hyper and disorganized, zipping around like crazy every time I opened the container to check on them.  They carried on like that for a little over four weeks and then began dying off.  The control group was alive and well right up until the project was turned in, so I turned them back into the wild when no one was looking.  Thanks again, the experiment was successful in TWO ways!  1.)It got an "A", 2.) It showed people the effect aspartame can have! Thanks, again, Snooey's daughter

THAT is so awesome. Can you imagine what this does to people???? Yuck.