Topic: Differences in Vitamin C, Buffered or Regular Caps

Dr. Hull, a question in regards to Vitamin C.  Up until a couple of weeks ago I had been using Now Brand C-1000 capsules and ran out.  Got a new supply from the health food store and did not realize it until I opened the bottle, I had gotten C-1000 Buffered.   The buffered, are they the same as slow release niacin?  The bottle says “buffered C, sustained release with 250 mg bioflavonoid.   Designed to release over a 2 hour period.  Suggested dose is one tablet daily, this was for either the tabs or the caps, I was taking two caps twice daily, morning and evening meal.  Kind of aggravating, both labels are alike for the most part except for the smaller print (Buffered C) under the primary label “C-1000”.

PatB

Re: Differences in Vitamin C, Buffered or Regular Caps

So much of the labeling issue is due to plain ignorance, even on health manufacture's part. Anything Time-Released will remain in the liver while it is being "forced" to NOT digest. So, this stresses the liver. I would return the product and tell them it's not what you needed, and it was not clear on the label. They'll send it back to the manufacturer with the reason why. I'd stick to the C-1000 by NOW.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking and did not take any.  My sentiments exactly on the labeling problems.  Standing in the store and trying to evaluate the products is hard enough without the misguided labeling.

PatB

Well, that's why we put up the Vitamin Directory. It serves as a guide because you are right. Most people don't know what to buy off the health store shelf. The employees are supposed to be of help, but unless they are trained well, they don't know more than what the vitamin rep tells them, and they sometimes don't know the fine details. We have a serious lack of good education in America. Serious lack.