Topic: Iodine, a New Epidemic

This I present as a question and as a statement on personal research, iodine, good, bad, necessary, not so necessary (depending on diet).

I got an e-mail last week from Newsmax Health concerning iodine and a current iodine deficiency epidemic nationwide.  It seems that our consumption (Americans) of needed iodine has decreased tremendously over the past several years.  The addition of iodine in our table salt has diminished, as proven during random samples.  It seems that during the past years that the producers of salt have started “shorting” the added iodine in the salt, probably a money element there.  Anyways in the 1920’s the goiter problem in the United States was so bad, the known reason was because of iodine deficiency, that the salt manufactures started to add iodine to salt and that dropped the goiter problem dramatically.

Now in the past few days I have learned a great deal about the need of iodine in the human body.  What I read sounds almost like one of those miracle drugs that you read about from time to time.  It is needed in every cell in the body and does more than just keep the ol’ thyroid in good shape.  Our recommended RDA for iodine is 150-290 mcg for adults.  “The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine has set a tolerable upper limit at 1,100 mcg”, (this is a quote).  Another, “They were first established as sufficient only to prevent goiter. Daily doses for optimal health of 3,000-6,000 mcg have been used without side effects in studies of people with other iodine deficiency-related health conditions such as polycystic breast disease.
By way of comparison, the average daily Japanese consumption of iodine ranges from 5,280 to 13,800 mcg of iodine, with no harmful effects and a host of benefits.  The Japanese experience is shedding new light on the importance of iodine, not only for thyroid health, but on other body functions as well. In particular, compelling evidence is emerging about the role of iodine in maintaining breast health, a major concern for millions of American women.”

These quotes and additional information is at: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct … ncy_01.htm

On my last hair analysis my iodine reading was at 0.24 and in 2009 it was 0.34 in a range of 0.25 – 1.8, this being just above the bottom of the scale in 2009 and decreasing.  When reading the list of symptoms of iodine deficiency it sound just like my everyday feelings.  No I don’t believe myself to be a hypochondriac and suddenly get a disease by reading.  Now for the question;
Dr. Hull, is there any evidence of getting or being toxic from too much iodine.  Growing up I always read that iodine could be poisonous, don’t remember why that was said.  We always got it put on our boo-boos and such until mercurochrome came out.  I had always used Morton iodized table salt until a couple years ago and started using Himalayan Salt which also has natural iodine in it from ancient seas.  I am looking at trying an order of Old Fashioned Lugol’s Iodine.  I have been taking kelp caps (Now brand) but they don’t seem to be of much, noted, benefit.
Anyone else that has been using or know of anyone using an iodine supplement please input here, all knowledge accepted.
PatB

Re: Iodine, a New Epidemic

Oh PatB, iodine is a key to health. I am a big believer in balanced iodine levels, and too much just kicks out of the thyroid. Now, there is a difference between manufactured iodine, like on your boo boo, and natural sea based sources of iodine. People living by the seaside do not have hormone or thyroid issues; people landlocked, like in the American Midwest, commonly have iodine deficiency issues. So, yes, I put iodine in my morning smoothie or simply add a few drops of tincture to water at least 4 times a week. Iodine is a wonderful, wonderful natural supplement your thyroid and brain feed from.