Topic: Bentonite, illite, zeolite or pyrophyllite clay - advise needed

Hello to you all!

I've followed Dr. Hull's detox program for over a year and have completed my second hair analysis confirming a serious decrease in bodily heavy metals. Fantastic indeed, but I'm still following a controlled regimen trying to further remove toxic metals and substances from my body. So first of all, Thank You to Dr. Hull for helping me to lead a healthier and better life!
On to the question:

I've been using the Pascalite calcium-bentonite clay product during the entire detox program, and I was about to order a new batch when I ran into comparisons and discussions about different clays online. I'd really appreciate advise (pros and cons) from this forum and hopefully Dr. Hull as well.

There are forum posts stating negative issues with the bentonite clay (read Pascalite) and its caking properties within the body. I was recommended this clay through the Hull detox program, I am a bit confused reading contradicting advise on this forum.

There are exciting articles on the internet about zeolite clay and its amazing cleansing properties, what are the thoughts here?

I have found a comparing article stating that pyrophyllite clay (also called sacred clay) is a superior clay to zeolite (and other clays) in many ways. This to me looks like a great product worth trying?

Also, help by comparing french green clay and illite clay as well please. hmm

Please help shed some light on these different clays and help me find the most effective detoxifier for my system. smile

Thanks in advance,
Henrik Söderlund

Last edited by henkisdabro (03-11-2012 1:43 am)

Re: Bentonite, illite, zeolite or pyrophyllite clay - advise needed

Hi Henrik
There are so many types of clays and conflicting information. Jason Eaton is one of the most knowledgeable people IMO on the subject. He has devoted his life to the scientific study and application of clays. According to Jason, zeolite and pyro clay are far less absorptive than mixed layer green clays. He's also written that it's hard to find a good commercial source of illite and that since there aren't a lot of commercial uses for it the deposits go undeveloped. The issue to be aware of with illite deposits is the purity and cleanlines of the deposit.

From my own point of view, I would not take any type of clay without complete confidence in the purity, evidenced by knowledge of the purveyor and laboratory mineral and microbial analysis.

French green clay is generic like kleenex or qtip. Not all clays billed as such are from France. Montmorillon is a commune in western France where in 1847 a large deposit of green clay was discovered. I understand that vein has now been exhausted and clay deposits with similar properties use the term Montmorillonite to convey that.

Everybody's different and you have to listen to your body as well as use your intellect. Hope this helps.

Hi Henrik - the key to clay is to find the ones that powder when they dry and not harden or "cast." These hardening clays are the stronger bentonite clays. If the bentonite clay you are using are a Pascalite calcium-bentonite clay product, this will powder more than cast. I really like the French Green clay because it also has nutrients in it. Some clays have more nutrients than others. I am so glad the detox is working, and if you are not experiencing any constipation or any drying from the clay you are using, then stick with it - it's working.

Jmamelia - you are right about the sources of the clays you use. It's sad that societies have either polluted the deeper clay beds or have exhausted them for other purposes - like covering the razed nuclear power plant at Chernobyl with the green clay to absorb the radiation. But, Walter Badet, my clay supplier from France, has kept his source of French Green clay the purest, and the French government has approved it for internal use. Go to http://www.frenchclayforall.com/ and email Walter - he is wonderful and so is his clay.

I called my local suppliment store and they have liquid bentonite clay.  Do you have any thoughts on it? 

Also I take an antidepressant and was wondering if it will bind to that?

I do not recommend bentonite clay internally - we use bentonite to plug the holes in oil well pipes. I really recommend the French Green clay or another montmorillite clay - they don't cast or harden like bentonite clay does; they ash or powder when dry, and this is much better for the body internally.

I would recommend reading the info on this website Zeolite.

I have a lot of posts about zeolite. To me, there are clays and clay products more pure and less adulterated available, but I don't think zeolite would do any harm after long term use. See, the thing with natural clays that haven't been altered in the lab is the fact that they are just that - they are natural clays that haven't been altered in the lab. When you can select a clay that is pure as opposed to a clay product that a human being has altered, why not choose the purest product? The cost will be close to the same.

Take stevia as a good example. Pure and unadulterated stevia is safe for human consumption. But now that Big Corps are using it in their assembly-line products and with sweeteners made from chemicals, stevia is being tested under different parameters, and showing some concerns. These test forms of stevia aren't original or natural - they have been changed by humans and are now causing concern. Pure stevia has been proven over 1500 years to be perfectly healthy.

Just stick with a product that has been untouched by man.

I recommend zeolite.

I prefer the French Green Clay over zeolite.